Quiz Submission Data taking up too much space

Josh Kraemer

Aug 26, 2016, 6:16:40 PM8/26/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi,

The quiz_submission_events tables in our Postgres database for Canvas have consumed 20+ GB in the past few months.

This has only been a recent problem and I'm wondering what I can do to safely eliminate the data and prevent the data increase. We only have around 800 students taking quizzes in Canvas.

Any ideas?

Cody Cutrer

Aug 26, 2016, 8:33:06 PM8/26/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Josh,

As long as you have delayed jobs running, it will automatically drop data older than 6 months. So you should reach a steady state soon.

Cody Cutrer
Software Engineer
Instructure
--

---

Josh Kraemer

Sep 13, 2016, 1:39:55 PM9/13/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Thanks for the reply. Delayed jobs are running, and it looks like the quiz_submission_events tables over 6 months old are deleted.

However, because the tables are filling up so quickly, I need to manually delete the data older than 1 month. For example: The table quiz_submission_events_2016_8 is 20GB in size.

I didn't need to do this until a couple of months ago and I don't recall anything changing drastically (ie - number of students, server configuration, etc).

Thoughts?

However, I'm still trying to figure out why the quiz_submission_events tables are filling up so quickly. This started happening a few months.

Josh Kraemer

Mar 20, 2017, 5:44:11 PM3/20/17
to Canvas LMS Users
I'm still noticing some issues with the quiz submission events. QuizSubmissionEventsApiController#create is consuming a lot of resources, and the quiz_submission_events_xxxx_xx tables are filling up at a rate of 20+ GB per month.

Anything to check?