Cannot view chat in canvas-lms open source version

Chaitra Hegde

Aug 18, 2015, 3:20:01 AM8/18/15
to Canvas LMS Users
I have my site configured using the canvas-lms open source version through this link - https://github.com/instructure/canvas-lms

I now need the Chat feature enabled within my course. Canvas-lms seems to come with the chat plugin, but yet I am unable to view this feature within the course.

Could someone please help me with the following -

1. Is Chat feature embedded for the open source version?
2. If yes, how do I configure it?
3. If no, what other options do I have to get Chat ? ( I am mainly looking out for text based chat as a minimum. Audio-video based a plus. )

Chaitra

Nick Kokkos

Aug 18, 2015, 7:22:42 AM8/18/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi,

from what I know, chat feature is only enabled on a paid canvas account. Also, chat feature on opensource version is not enabled/available yet (it is not known if this feature will be available in the future and when).

Nick Kokkos

Aug 18, 2015, 7:26:03 AM8/18/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Canvas lms integrates well with bigbluebutton, which is a opensource web based adobe conference tool which features a chat tool also
http://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/40302-what-are-conferences-for-instructors

Chaitra Hegde

Aug 21, 2015, 8:21:22 AM8/21/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Hey Nick,

Thanks for this piece of information.

When I log-in to my site as account admin I cannot view the link to 'Conferences' in the left hand side menu. (I have attached my screenshot)

I have enabled all the necessary permissions to this role to use Conferences. ( Create Web Conferences  ) from the permission settings.

What am I possibly doing wrong? Or is Conferences not available for the open source version as well?

Chaitra

Chaitra Hegde

Aug 21, 2015, 8:25:54 AM8/21/15
to Canvas LMS Users

Yannick Petit

Aug 24, 2015, 1:36:21 PM8/24/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi there,

I was wondering if Instructure plans to open source its chat feature in the near future ?

Many thanks,

Yannick

Graham Ballantyne

Aug 25, 2015, 12:36:49 AM8/25/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
We were told in 2013 that chat was going to be open-sourced. Nothing yet.

— Graham
--

---