Mobile apps and self-hosted Canvas

Colin Murtaugh

May 31, 2013, 8:04:04 AM5/31/13
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi --

Is it possible to use Instructure's iOS/Android apps with a self-hosted instance of Canvas?

Thanks!

--Colin

Christopher Bennell

Jun 3, 2013, 9:31:23 AM6/3/13
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Colin,
Nope. This page has a list of differences between the Cloud and the open source version of Canvas.

arthur...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2015, 5:38:53 PM1/20/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I know it's an old thread - but (assuming that the Instructure's iOS/Android app still can't be used with a self-hosted instance of Canvas) - is it possible to develop my own iOS/Android app and integrate it with a self-hosted instance of Canvas? I'm especially interested on the functionalities related to activities (i.e. quizzes/tests in the mobile app).

Thanks,

--Arthur

Graham Ballantyne

Jan 20, 2015, 5:45:06 PM1/20/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Sure - as far as I know, the official apps are using the public Canvas REST API; there's nothing really stopping you from doing the same thing.

--

---

Arthur Casals

Jan 20, 2015, 5:46:22 PM1/20/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com

Great - thanks!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Canvas LMS Users" group.

Nick Kokkos

Jan 21, 2015, 1:48:19 AM1/21/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, arthur...@gmail.com

Instructure has already written a number of libraries (opensource) for Android and iOS:
https://github.com/instructure/CanvasAPI (for Android)
https://github.com/instructure/CanvasKit (for iOS)

Yannick Petit

Mar 13, 2015, 2:33:57 PM3/13/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, arthur...@gmail.com
Hello all,

Do you know if there are plans to open source these mobile applications ?

Also, do you think Instructure would be open to selling special licences to use mobile apps on self-hosted Canvas instances ? If so, who should I fet in touch with ?

Many thanks,

Yannick

mathew...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2015, 6:04:56 AM8/21/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi

       Someone has already developed iOS/Android apps for self-hosted Canvas.
More information please visit http://canvaslmsmobile.com/ .

Christopher Bennell

Aug 26, 2015, 3:20:41 PM8/26/15
to Canvas LMS Users
"Someone"

mathew canvas

Aug 27, 2015, 1:31:18 AM8/27/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Team Zionsoftwares.

On Thursday, August 27, 2015 at 12:50:41 AM UTC+5:30, Christopher Bennell wrote:
"Someone"

stooa...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2015, 6:34:36 PM10/22/15
to Canvas LMS Users
I think SFU up in Vancouver uses the app with a self-hosted instance of Canvas. How did they do this?