Look and feel customization options

Arti Sharma

Aug 26, 2015, 1:24:17 PM8/26/15
to Canvas LMS Users
I am looking for ideas for customizing and extending the out of box look and feel of Canvas courses. Does anyone here have tips or anything to share?

Thanks,
Arti

Graham Ballantyne

Aug 26, 2015, 1:35:33 PM8/26/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Canvas supports custom CSS and JavaScript includes. http://guides.instructure.com/m/4214/l/41896-how-do-i-add-custom-javascript-and-css-files-to-my-account

When making customizations, keep in mind that Instructure has a new look and feel currently hidden behind a feature flag; you will want to test your customizations with both UIs.

--

---

Becky Kinney

Aug 26, 2015, 1:57:07 PM8/26/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Used to be you could use different styles in different sub-accounts, which is very useful when different departments have their own needs and preferences. I'm not seeing that in the new UI. I see where I can upload one stylesheet and on js file to my global account, but when I navigate to a sub-account, the theme editor button disappears. Please tell me there is still a way to upload sub-account specific files. Used to be you could set a flag in the parent account, allowing sub-accounts to add their own custom sheets. Can I still do that? If not, what do you suggest I do about my existing sub-account modifications?

Becky Kinney
Academic Technology Services

Cody Cutrer

Aug 26, 2015, 1:58:13 PM8/26/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Becky,

That functionality is being built for the new Theme Editor as we type.

Cody Cutrer
Software Engineer
Instructure

Becky Kinney

Aug 26, 2015, 5:02:50 PM8/26/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks for getting back to me.

Becky Kinney
Academic Technology Services

Olav Bringedal

Oct 13, 2015, 7:02:23 AM10/13/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi

In the new interface the ability to link to js and css files is missing AFAIK. Will there be a way to do this? To manually upload css and js files is quite cumbersome and as we use the open source version; we have four environments that needs to be coherent.

Olav Bringedal
University of Bergen

Cody Cutrer

Oct 13, 2015, 12:26:54 PM10/13/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Olav,

In the new UI you can only upload CSS/JS, but not link to existing files (https://www.dropbox.com/s/soe5p106c9d3dtf/Screenshot%202015-10-13%2010.25.13.png?dl=0). This is quite deliberate, as for many people it was difficult to find a place to host their CSS files, and it also means that the performance of your Canvas instance is no longer dependent on 3rd party hosting.

Cody Cutrer
Software Engineer
Instructure
Message has been deleted