Canvas LMS code on Windows 10 Box?

Venkata Goli

Aug 25, 2016, 6:09:11 PM8/25/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi,
I am looking to run Canvas LMS on my own box. How can I install Canvas LMS on my Windows 10 Box and run it.
Are there any prereqs?
Venkat.

Cody Cutrer

Aug 31, 2016, 11:58:30 AM8/31/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Venkat,

Canvas does not run on Windows. It requires either Mac or Linux. It might run on less common POSIX platforms, but I haven't heard of anyone that has attempted it.

Cody Cutrer
Software Engineer
Instructure

--

---

Ben Porter

Aug 31, 2016, 2:27:10 PM8/31/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Venkat,

Cody is correct that Canvas does not run natively on Windows.  You might however, be able to get it running using Docker for Windows (https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/).  I am unaware of anyone who has done this, so you'll be blazing a bit of a trail.  Many developers at Instructure use Docker on both Mac and Linux with success.  If you look in the repo, you may find the instructions at doc/development_with_docker.md helpful, tho again you'll have to fill in the gaps a bit.

My recommendation would be to install a linux distro like Ubuntu or Fedora into a VM and install Canvas there.  Best of luck,

Ben

Benjamin Porter | Engineering

bpo...@instructure.com

c:801.923.8789 | instructure.com

Graham Ballantyne

Aug 31, 2016, 2:37:26 PM8/31/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
One thing I'm interested to try is installing Canvas on Windows 10 under the new native Bash integration. Could work, could go horribly wrong!

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Venkata Goli <vnr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am looking to run Canvas LMS on my own box. How can I install Canvas LMS on my Windows 10 Box and run it.
Are there any prereqs?
Venkat.

--

---

---

---

Graham Ballantyne
IT Services
Simon Fraser University

4DCA3EFE-1CF0-4972-A4D7-524ED1F69700[2].png