Can't see the Cassandra database

Jorge Herskovic

Oct 10, 2017, 3:40:11 PM10/10/17
to Canvas LMS Users
As part of my saga to enable auditing, I installed a single-node Cassandra "cluster" on my dev Canvas setup. I can talk to it using cqlsh all day, but for the life of me I can't get any part of Canvas to communicate with it. I keep getting
NoMethodError: undefined method `execute' for nil:NilClass

even though I've filled in cassandra.yml under config/ and followed the instructions in it to the letter. Since this is a single-node install but under the "production" instructions, my cassandra.yml looks like:
production:
   page_views:
     servers:
     - 127.0.0.1:9160
     keyspace: page_views
   auditors:
     servers:
     - 127.0.0.1:9160
     keyspace: auditors

The keyspaces were created by hand, and I even ran the relevant migrations by hand in the cqlsh console, since the rake tasks couldn't reach it. Still doesn't work.

I've also tried using Cassandra 3 and 2.2. None of them work. Do I need something in database.yml?

Jorge Herskovic

Oct 10, 2017, 3:50:16 PM10/10/17
to Canvas LMS Users
Once again, I struggle with this for a day, post it, then do some MORE googling and find the answer 5 minutes later.

/etc/cassandra/cassandra.yaml ships with the setting start_rpc: false
This needs to be changed to true and cassandra restarted.