How to reference Canvas version?

Jim Davis

Sep 4, 2015, 6:47:28 PM9/4/15
to Canvas LMS Users
I am writing some documentation about adding an external tool to Canvas, and I would like to identify what version of Canvas I am referencing.

Is there a build number or version number anywhere?

jd

Cody Cutrer

Sep 8, 2015, 3:53:34 PM9/8/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
If you put a file in your Canvas directory called VERSION, then the contents of that file will be exposed at /health_check.json. For Canvas Cloud, these versions correspond with tags in the repository at https://github.com/instructure/canvas-lms. Beyond that, the only version "number" is the commit hash you are currently on.

Cody Cutrer
Software Engineer
Instructure

--

---

Philip McGachey

Sep 10, 2015, 7:11:02 AM9/10/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi, Cody

Thanks for that information - it's something that I've been meaning to find out a while. I took a look at the /health_check.json endpoint - right now it has the revision as "2015-08-29.33", but I'm only seeing tags in the repository going up to 2015-08-29.25. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Phil

Cody Cutrer

Sep 10, 2015, 10:57:31 AM9/10/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Phil,

Just that sometimes we're a little slow pushing the release tags to GitHub :) Should be there now.

Cody

Lennart Nordgreen

Sep 11, 2015, 3:50:12 AM9/11/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi guys,

well at least you have revision info ;)

My just say
{"status":"canvas ok","revision":null}

Is this a newly added feature?

Br,
Lennart

Graham Ballantyne

Sep 11, 2015, 10:56:38 AM9/11/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
If you're self-hosted, you need to put a file named VERSION in your Canvas root; the contents will be exposed as the revision property.

— Graham

Lennart Nordgreen

Oct 8, 2015, 5:10:05 AM10/8/15
to Canvas LMS Users