Canvas site not available.

bhot...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2016, 4:39:16 PM7/5/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi All,

I'm sure I'm missing something simple.  Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have attempted to install Canvas on Ubuntu 14.04 following the Production instructions.  However, if I try to reach the site on either port 80 or port 443, I receive the following error:  ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE

I don't receive any error messages in the Apache error log.

The only error that I see in the Canvas errors log has been:
ssl:warn] [pid 2261] AH01909: RSA certificate configured for canvas.mydomain.org:443 does NOT include an ID which matches the server name
canvas_errors.log.

I think I've fixed that by changing the hostname of the server to the complete FQDN.

I'm getting the following when running:  sudo /etc/init.d/canvas-init start (or restart)
Calling Delayed::Pool.new directly is deprecated. Use `Delayed::CLI.new.run()` instead.
Delayed::Pool#run is deprecated and will be removed. Use `Delayed::CLI.new.run()` instead.
Daemonizing...

What am I missing?  Thanks for any help that anyone can provide!
Brad

Graham Ballantyne

Jul 5, 2016, 5:15:17 PM7/5/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

Have you tried accessing the server from itself (e.g. `curl localhost:443` or `curl localhost:80`)? I'm wondering if there's a firewall rule or something in place preventing you from accessing the server from outside.

--

---

Graham Ballantyne
IT Services
Simon Fraser University

Brad Firestone

Jul 6, 2016, 10:39:28 AM7/6/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Graham!

That was one of my thoughts too, and I am pretty sure I have disabled any local firewalls on this server.  UFW shows that it’s inactive.  I also have Webmin running on the server and I can reach it just fine.  I can also SSH into the server without problems.

Here is the output that I get from ‘curl localhost:80’.  (I get the same output using the FQDN.)

<title>302 Found</title>

</head><body>

<h1>Found</h1>

<hr>

<address>Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at canvas.globalnaz.org Port 80</address>

And here is the output from ‘curl localhost:443’.

<title>400 Bad Request</title>

</head><body>

<h1>Bad Request</h1>

Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.<br />

Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.<br />

<hr>

<address>Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu) Server at canvas.globalnaz.org Port 443</address>

This seems like it’s working right at the localhost.  The same curl requests give the following response when run from a different server:

curl: (7) Failed to connect to canvas.mydomain.org port 80: Network is unreachable

So this seems to be some sort of network issue and not Canvas specific.  (Unless there’s some sort of “firewall” in Passenger or other pieces of Canvas.  I am a Passenger/Canvas newbie.)   I’ll keep trying to figure it out.  Thanks for the help!

Brad

--

---