Adobe Captivate

mmc...@lrei.org

Jan 21, 2015, 6:20:52 AM1/21/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I have a number of lessons created with Adobe Captivate. They include quizzes and other assessments. Could anyone suggest the best possible way to integrate them into my Canvas site? I have a self hosted open version.  Would I in someway need to use the Scorm Cloud LTI External tool or is there something I can do the Canvas API's?
Thanks in advance!

Matt

Becky Kinney

Jan 21, 2015, 10:28:32 AM1/21/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
The Scorm Cloud thing might serve you well, but I don't think it is free to host your content there. You should look into it, but I'm pretty sure you'll find they want you to upload your content to their server, for a fee.

Canvas has limited support for TinCan. You might be able to hook Captivate content into that. You won't get all the data that SCORM spits out, only a tiny, tiny bit of it, like, I'm guessing, a single grade and a duration. The other thing people have tried to do is convent to Common Cartridge, which Canvas supports. The problem with common cartridge is that while it will run your content fine, it won't capture the answers to individual questions as they are answered during your mod. Instead, the quiz questions end up in a stand-alone Canvas quiz that has been stripped of the surrounding content. You can have students take the quiz, but it's really not the same as having their in-context answers captured. I've heard that the conversion is non-trivial, which comes as no surprise. I have not tried this myself.

Good luck, and if you find a happy solution, please let us know.

Becky Kinney
Academic Technology Services

--

---

mmc...@lrei.org

Jan 22, 2015, 6:42:03 AM1/22/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Becky!
-Matt

pankaj....@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2015, 10:37:01 AM3/26/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com

Becky,

Does the Scorm Cloud LTI tool send back completion information or scores back to Canvas LMS?

Pankaj Agrawal

Becky Kinney

Mar 26, 2015, 10:41:00 AM3/26/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I believe it would, but I have good news from Instructure. SCORM support in Canvas is right around the corner. You should just wait a month or too, if you possibly can.

Becky Kinney
Academic Technology Services

pankaj....@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2015, 10:45:14 AM3/26/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Great, Thanks.

Matthew Mclean

Mar 26, 2015, 10:48:49 AM3/26/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Becky this is exciting news!  Will this effect our work with Captivate?  Should we just wait?

--

---

Becky Kinney

Mar 28, 2015, 8:49:17 AM3/28/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Captivate content you publish as SCORM should just work in Canvas. Waiting seems like the best bet.

Becky Kinney
Academic Technology Services

Matthew Mclean

Mar 28, 2015, 8:53:12 AM3/28/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Ok, sounds good. Thanks Becky!

On a related note I'm totally struggling because I broke my site trying to upgrade to Ubuntu14. I posted a thread on the forum but haven't been able to figure it out. If you have any thoughts on how I might repair this I would be forever grateful....

Becky Kinney

Mar 28, 2015, 10:30:10 AM3/28/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Wow, that's a bummer. I'm afraid I'm not much use when it comes to hosting problems. I struggle just to get a virtual machine installed and running my own code. The UD servers I work on are managed by someone else, for which I am truly grateful. I've installed and run a few open source packages on my hosted sites with reasonable success, but my impression from following the instructure developers forum is that Canvas is a lot harder to administer than anything I've ever taken a pass at. You are a brave man to take it on.