Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Jorge León

Oct 16, 2017, 10:57:31 AM10/16/17
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi.

I just found out this group exists and i wanted to ask if any of you guys have faced this problem before:

550 5.1.1 <x...@xxx.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Suddenly, outgoing email stopped working and that's what i can see under the "Jobs" section of the Admin Settings.

We have another Canvas site with the same SMTP credentials and it's working ok.

Shawn Iverson

Oct 16, 2017, 11:20:23 AM10/16/17
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that is a canvas problem, it is a problem with the upstream relay, most likely.

--

---

Shawn Iverson, CETL
Director of Technology
Rush County Schools

Jorge León

Oct 16, 2017, 11:33:26 AM10/16/17
to Canvas LMS Users
I just found out those are old errors.

My Canvas server hasn't been sending emails since Sept 23rd and i didn't change anything in the config files.

I don't even know where the log file is. I have tried with canvas_init restart, restarting the whole server, re-checking the outgoing_mail.yml is correctly setup, and re-checking the delayed jobs service is started. None of this work, and i have another Canvas server with the same config and it works.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Jorge León <jorgel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi.

I just found out this group exists and i wanted to ask if any of you guys have faced this problem before:

550 5.1.1 <x...@xxx.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Suddenly, outgoing email stopped working and that's what i can see under the "Jobs" section of the Admin Settings.

We have another Canvas site with the same SMTP credentials and it's working ok.

--

---

Graham Ballantyne

Oct 16, 2017, 12:13:19 PM10/16/17
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Logs are in the `log` directory under your canvas installation. Mail is usually sent as a delayed job, so you'll want to check out that logfile first, and/or the https://yourcanvas/jobs page. production.log (or development.log, if you're running RAILS_ENV=development) can be helpful as well.
Graham Ballantyne
IT Services
Simon Fraser University

Jorge León

Oct 16, 2017, 1:08:27 PM10/16/17
to Canvas LMS Users
Thank you... The logs of the delayed jobs actually show the same as the Jobs page in the Admin Settings.

Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Email is not going out

:(

Graham Ballantyne

Oct 16, 2017, 1:10:27 PM10/16/17
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
As Shawn said, this sounds like a mailserver issue, not a Canvas issue. Canvas is sending your messages; your mailserver is rejecting them.

Can you post a redacted version of outgoing_mail.yml?

Jorge León

Oct 16, 2017, 1:13:11 PM10/16/17
to Canvas LMS Users
development:
  address: "smtp.example.com"
  port: "25"
  user_name: "user"
  password: "password"
  authentication: "plain" # plain, login, or cram_md5
  domain: "example.com"
  outgoing_address: "can...@example.com"
  default_name: "Instructure Canvas"

# or to use sendmail --
#
# development:
#   delivery_method: "sendmail"

test:
  delivery_method: "test"

production:
  delivery_method: "smtp"
  address: "smtp.gmail.com"
  port: "587"
  user_name: "EMAIL ADDRESS OF GSUITE"
  password: "PASSWORD OF THE ACCOUNT"
  authentication: "plain" # plain, login, or cram_md5
  domain: "CANVAS SERVER DOMAIN"
  outgoing_address: "EMAIL ADDRESS OF GSUITE"
  default_name: "Instructure Canvas"

# If receiving mail from multiple inboxes (see incoming_mail.yml.example),
# you'll want to include those addresses in a reply_to_addresses array so
# Canvas will select the Reply-To field of outgoing messages from all of the
# incoming mailboxes.

multiple_inboxes:
  address: "smtp.example.com"
  port: "25"
  user_name: "user"
  password: "password"
  authentication: "plain" # plain, login, or cram_md5
  domain: "example.com"
  outgoing_address: "can...@example.com"
  default_name: "Instructure Canvas"
  reply_to_addresses: