request only new submission data

Jared Chapman

Aug 25, 2016, 4:02:59 PM8/25/16
to Canvas LMS Users
I have made several lti components that rely on the all student submissions api. I also have large classes with many assignments. The all student submissions can return as many as 11,000 records! It can take up to 8 min to load because I have to make individual paged requests of 100 records each.

This makes things very slow!

If I hosted the data locally, it would be much faster, however, submission data changes so much, and something like a leader board or enhanced teacher gradebook requires the most current data. The moment a student turns in an assignment, my cache is out of date in will produce incorrect information.

In a server environment with a DB I could just request the latest data created since the last time I queried the DB.

Is that a possibility with the Canvas API? Could I request all the submissions created since a specific time stamp?