Grading using the API

Peter Robinson

Aug 27, 2015, 7:58:48 AM8/27/15
to Canvas LMS Users
My institution is just starting to use Canvas.  On one of my courses, I want to provide a weekly grade to each student, based on external factors which can be assessed automatically.  Ideally, I would use an assignment which does not require a submission from the student, and then provide the grade from a completely separate application using the REST API.

I can't seem to make this work, however.  It seems that in order to provide a grade for an assignment via the API, there must be a submission.  Is this correct?  Is anyone else doing this?

Any ideas gratefully received...

Brad Humphrey

Aug 27, 2015, 11:18:11 AM8/27/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
You can create and/or grade a submission in two ways via the Canvas API.  The first is to use https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/submissions.html#method.submissions_api.update. I believe that if you call this for a student / assignment with no submissions, an empty submission will be created automatically to be graded.

--

---

Peter Robinson

Aug 27, 2015, 4:53:11 PM8/27/15
to Canvas LMS Users
Yes, that's what I was trying to do.  I seem to be able to call the API, using a valid course code, assignment and student id, and I don't get an error, but the grade does not seem to get posted.  My suspicion is because I am (deliberatly) using asn assignment which does not require a student to submit anything.