LTI 2

jared...@gmail.com

Mar 26, 2015, 7:57:40 PM3/26/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I notice that canvas studio says there is limited support for LTI 2 in canvas. How do I get access to it?

Karl Lloyd

Mar 27, 2015, 1:00:43 PM3/27/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, jared...@gmail.com
Your Canvas Admin can request to have it turned on for your Institution's account. Once it's turned on you will have an extra option in the Apps configuration screen where tools can be installed pointing to a registration service endpoint.

jared...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2015, 9:02:38 AM3/31/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, jared...@gmail.com
We turned it on and I can see the new option. Is there any documentation on Canvas' implementation of LTI 2? How much of it is there? Specifically I am looking for change notifications, but I would like to read more about what is available.

Brad Humphrey

Mar 31, 2015, 12:50:09 PM3/31/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, Jared Chapman
Currently there is very little canvas documentation on LTI 2.  This is still in very early beta and is undergoing frequent changes in order to bring it into better alignment with the spec and to achieve feature parity with Canvas' LTI 1 implementation.  The best place to look for now is at the official documentation at http://www.imsglobal.org/lti/#lti2.0.

Out of the gate LTI 2 provides a more elegant and powerful registration service which is used when installing tools.  Additionally, it lays the framework for additional services (both standardized and otherwise) that rely on the OAuth 1 shared secret security model.  This will allow tool providers to access some APIs under the permissions they are granted on install in a manner that is consistent across tool consumers.  The upcoming services include re-registration, rich outcomes, and roster.

I am not aware of any effort that is currently underway to provide change notifications through LTI 2, although the framework would certainly support it.  What information specifically are you hoping to be notified about?

--

---

jared...@gmail.com

May 2, 2015, 9:28:15 AM5/2/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, jared...@gmail.com
Sorry Brad, I thought I responded to this a long time ago, but when I came to check for your response, my comments were not there. To answer your question: "What information specifically are you hoping to be notified about?"

I would like to know when content has been modified in the LMS so I can update my DB.

It is probably overkill to include submission data in that, but for modules and assignments and other content it would be useful to know if there was a change.

Perhaps most important is being notified that a course has been copied. We are putting a ton of effort into settings for a specific course, but when a course is copied from one semester to another, the LTI configuration carries over, but all of my settings for that instance of the LTI have to be reproduced. If I were notified when a course was copied, with the id of the new course, I could duplicate all of my settings as well and save the instructor dozens of hours of redesign.