Which Web Host should I use to Host Canvas?

Jordan Hart

Mar 22, 2015, 6:34:06 PM3/22/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Hey Canvas Users,

I've gotten Canvas installed locally on my machine, and I tried to deploy to Heroku with no end of trouble.

Does anyone have a simple host they recommend for getting Canvas up for just a handful of users?

I realize AWS is an option, but I'd prefer to use something even more simple. Or at least perhaps hear some good points on why one host is better than another.

Thx,
Jordan

Charles Wood

Mar 23, 2015, 11:49:15 AM3/23/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I've used Linode and Digital Ocean to host my servers. Digital Ocean is my preferred option these days. It's a little less expensive and the ui panel is pretty simple. https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=a3f178e25ae4

I'd go with the Ubuntu 14.04 option. If you need help setting things up, I'm an independent Rails consultant who can help you sort it out.

--

---

Jordan Hart

Mar 23, 2015, 5:09:02 PM3/23/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Nice thanks, I'll reach out if I get stuck.

Do you think I can get by on that lowest $5/mo plan with just a handful of users? Or does Canvas not run well without more resources?

--

---

Graham Ballantyne

Mar 23, 2015, 6:26:49 PM3/23/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
The $5 plan on Digital Ocean only has 512MB of RAM. That's not enough if you're planning on running everything (the app, database, redis) on one box. It's probably not even enough for the compile_assets step to run ;)

Charles Wood

Mar 23, 2015, 7:24:43 PM3/23/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I'd go for the $40/month plan with 4GB.