Custom plugins

helper helperov

Apr 21, 2017, 3:03:09 AM4/21/17
to Canvas LMS Users
Hello, I have two questions.

1) My company wanna make integration with Canvas-LMS and we are creating custom plugin for this now. Does anybody have good examples of plugins, or docs about this?

2) Is it possible to push our plugin to main repo when it will done? And what is required for this?

Thanks for help.

Graham Ballantyne

Apr 21, 2017, 6:18:17 PM4/21/17
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Plugins are only "supported" (and I'm using that term loosely) in the open-source version of Canvas. Someone from Instructure would have to chime in on what it would take to get a plugin pulled into the repo, but I'd hazard a guess that the odds aren't great.

What are you trying to accomplish? You're probably better off exploring if you can create your integration using LTI and the Canvas API rather than a rails plugin.
--

---

Graham Ballantyne
IT Services
Simon Fraser University

helper helperov

Apr 21, 2017, 11:58:29 PM4/21/17
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com

I wanna make integration with ERESERVE, this is AU edu system. Yep, lti will the best solution. Doco doesnt have a lot detsils. So i found info on third party sites and alreday built lti prototype. In any case, thanks for help

сб, 22 апр. 2017 г., 3:18 Graham Ballantyne <gra...@sfu.ca>:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Canvas LMS Users" group.

helper helperov

May 2, 2017, 1:07:36 AM5/2/17
to Canvas LMS Users, gra...@sfu.ca
Hello. I have experimented with LTI a lot and was stumped. I need integration which the make next:
1) Teacher (or administrator) add to course editor button, which redirect user to my server. Here everything ok, I am using LTI 1 and external tool with editor_button settings
2) Teacher in editor tool click to generated before button. Canvas open modal window where redirect teacher to my server.
3) There is teacher should be authorized. Ok, there is I can use oauth1 params to choose, that user valid.
4) After teacher should choose several readings items from my server.
5) My server remember hi's choise and generate link. When user going to this link he see choosed readings items. This link passed to canvas lms. And when user will go to canvas lms page he should see choosed readings. There is first problem!! This link should be protected. I see the next solution:

a) Teacher when are choosing readings can generate canvas external tool and pass link to the external tool like iframe. There is two problems:
  1. For generating external tools need oauth2 access_token. But we lti1 oauth don't collide with oauth2 in canvas lms.
  2. To launch this external tool i see just this https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/external_tools.html#method.external_tools.generate_sessionless_launch . And canvas allow use sessionless_launch url just one time. On the next usage canvas write this: 'Cannot locate launch request, please try again.'

Can you help me with it?

WenChen Hol

May 2, 2017, 5:43:33 PM5/2/17
to Canvas LMS Users, gra...@sfu.ca

The step 5, why don’t you return

returnUrl?embed_type=iframe&url=YOU_GENERATED_URL&width=xxx&y=XXX

that way will add the iframe with the reading items in that page.

( return parameters https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/file.editor_button_tools.html )

If must need protection, in your iframe, you could use some api call to check the enrolments of the user before page load.

(  /doc/api/live#!/enrollments.json/list_enrollments_courses_get_0 )

HTH

Wen

helper helperov

May 3, 2017, 3:30:12 AM5/3/17
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Yep I am using this. I redirect user teacher to canvas lms with params: embed_type=iframe&url=YOU_GENERATED_URL&width=xxx&y=XXX
. But firstly, to call any apis need oauth2 access token (ok with several "crutch"es I might to do this). Also when user going to iframe url I need to check him credentials. And It's possible do if I will pass lti url to canvas, which redirect user to my application. And there is problem I don't see good way to do this.

Session less urls live just 5 minutes and you can use this just 1 time, I need some permanent. So, problem didn't solved

--

---