How to upload MP4 directly in a course without a videos server

hari kumar

Jul 22, 2016, 8:49:02 AM7/22/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi,

I have a quick question, is it possible for me to upload MP4 videos directly in a course without using a video server like Kaltura.  If so how can i do that.

Regards

Hari

Becky Kinney

Jul 25, 2016, 7:54:41 AM7/25/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I doubt this is the answer you are looking for, but you can certainly upload videos into the Canvas using the same methods you would for any other type of file. I've uploaded mp4  into Files, and submitted as student assignments. They will not stream from there, but they will still play as long as you construct the correct path to the file and put it into a video tag. Works fine for short videos.

Becky Kinney
Academic Technology Services

--

---

hari kumar

Aug 1, 2016, 1:57:11 AM8/1/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi Becky,

Thanks for your reply, I was using Ispring for converting my Power point presentation to SWF format and then upload using File option and I am using an old version of Canvas.  Now I changed the Canvas version to May 2016, I believe this version will support HTML5.  So like SWF is there a good solution to upload my power point presentations.  If I convert PPT into Scorm and upload, is that a good choice?  If so part from Ispring is there any open source tool available for this conversion

Regards

Hari

Becky Kinney

Aug 1, 2016, 10:00:08 AM8/1/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Well, the iSpring folks seem to think that their SCORM output works with Canvas, but I have not tried that.

If SCORM doesn't work out for you, you should be able to upload the entire iSpring HTML5 folder into Canvas Files and link to it. That works just fine for content delivery, but there won't be any tracking beyond knowing whether students have hit the page, which you can track in a couple of ways. If you make the content a module element, you can require it, and even use it as a basis for selective release of other content.

Becky Kinney
Academic Technology Services

Hari

Aug 1, 2016, 12:22:34 PM8/1/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much .  Power Point 2013 itself is having an add on Office Mix which can be used to convert content to Scorm, I have not tried this.

Also I am planning to put some Gamification elements, is this possible in Canvas?
Regards

Harikumar M