Update old Canvas to last

DV-RU

Dec 18, 2017, 7:00:05 AM12/18/17
to Canvas LMS Users
Hello! I have new task on my job. We are using old Canvas installation (January 2016).
I want to update Canvas to last stable release. There is no problem to install new ruby, rails, gems and additional software. But I stuck in doubt. Can I update database directly using rake db:migrate? Will I get any problem? Or, do I need to "chain" update from one version to another, from another to last?

Thanks for advices!

Christopher Bennell

Dec 18, 2017, 12:52:50 PM12/18/17
to Canvas LMS Users
My experience has been that leaving long gaps between updates will cause database migration issues. I would strongly recommend setting up a testing server, cloning your existing database, and running the update on your test instance before you deploy to production. Make note of what you need to do to fix the errors in the deploy process so you can do so beforehand with your production instance.

One specific issue to watch out for is the issue described here. In short, you need to update to the release from 2016-04-23 first, before trying to update to subsequent releases.

Good luck!