(New User) Canvas Theme Preview Issues with temporary solution

terr...@backstageapps.com

Sep 25, 2016, 9:36:20 PM9/25/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi everyone,

My sincere apologies at being the Newbie (ack, another one!) here  :)

I'm working from an AMI install on AWS.  I've been reading the posts in this group as needed and solving problems.

I see that others were having a theme preview issue (and thus inability to save their updated branding), and have a similar error (Unable to Generate Preview) - see attached.

IF I go into SSH and use the following command:

rm -rf node_modules gems/*/node_modules && npm cache clear && npm install

Then I can go back in and click Preview and get a single preview update.  But clicking it again for any other change will bring the error back.

Anyone have ideas how to keep from needing to SSH in to make a single element change each time?

Thanks for the support -- apologies if I try anyone's patience -- not trying to!
Terrence
Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 10.05.58 PM.png

Samuel Santhosh

Sep 26, 2016, 6:54:42 AM9/26/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi,

Can you make sure the webserver / the delayed job have the permission canvas app/ folder, because while generating the theme its generating files there.

terr...@backstageapps.com

Oct 5, 2016, 10:45:14 PM10/5/16
to Canvas LMS Users
I was never able to resolve this in that way, although I liked the solution in theory.  In the end, I ended up having to do my theme edits via a mix of SSH and FTP.  Not ideal, but got the job done.

John DeCola

Oct 10, 2016, 5:44:41 PM10/10/16
to Canvas LMS Users
Unfortunately even your temp solution does not work for me. Maybe I am getting the issue for a different reason.

John

Terrence Williams

Oct 10, 2016, 5:48:17 PM10/10/16
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I ended up making all of my edits via SSH and FTP.  Overwriting logo files, and changing text.  It's an ugly way to do it, and I hate the idea that my Production environment may have a bug somewhere that I can't track down (and makes me wonder what else might not work down the road), but in the end, there's no support, and I have a system to run.

Best of luck...

Terrence R. Williams
Production Stage Manager
Backstage Apps Limited

--

---

John DeCola

Oct 10, 2016, 8:33:31 PM10/10/16
to Canvas LMS Users

I just got a little further by changing the permission setting of the following folders to 777:

var/canvas/app/stylesheets

var/canvas/public/dist/brandable_css

var/canvas/public/stylesheets

I am now able to get through the Preview mode and make color changes. But my custom branding logo image is still not loading. Instead only a small square box with an x in the middle is displayed.

In other words, I can now make color changes but still not able to change the logos. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks