Remote RCE?

Christopher Bennell

Jun 29, 2017, 1:29:13 PM6/29/17
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi Instructure Folks,
I'm wondering about the "remote version of Rich Content Editor". What exactly is it, and what does it mean for us open-source folks? Are there plans to phase out the non-remote RCE? Thanks!

Graham Ballantyne

Jun 29, 2017, 1:33:09 PM6/29/17
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
We're wondering the same thing. We asked our CSM, but the answer we got didn't make a lot of sense:

RE: Remote editor - we first introduced this as a feature option last summer, only applying to pages and syllabus. The purpose was for backend improvements, resulting in small interface changes and supports pagination. Since then, we introduced it to all other RCE areas in Canvas.

--

---

Graham Ballantyne
IT Services
Simon Fraser University

Christopher Bennell

Jul 25, 2017, 9:33:05 AM7/25/17
to Canvas LMS Users
We're looking forward to some information about this. Thanks in advance.

Graham Ballantyne

Jul 31, 2017, 7:56:05 PM7/31/17
to Canvas LMS Users
I didn't get a good answer at Instructurecon about *what* the Remote RCE is, but it looks like there's a commit on stable now that will put it behind a feature flag, "until rcs is open-sourced".

Christopher Bennell

Aug 1, 2017, 10:44:25 AM8/1/17
to Canvas LMS Users
That's encouraging!