How to Enable SCORM LTI Uploads?

mmc...@lrei.org

Apr 14, 2015, 9:06:11 PM4/14/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I'm very happy to see the new support for SCORM LTI in the latest Beta release notes:

Would anyone happen to know how I would enable this feature in my own instance of Canvas?

thank you!
Matt

Midiman

Apr 15, 2015, 6:58:45 PM4/15/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, mmc...@lrei.org
Our institution is a Canvas Cloud customer. I played with the feature in our beta instance and it's actually showing promise.

We had to get our customer success manager to turn this on for us, but I've noticed in other builds of Canvas on my local testing environment that things like this show up as a feature flag under settings at the root admin level.

One thing I've noticed is the lack of flexibility with respect to recorded score for the learner. It's only configurable to keep the first attempt of the activity. The learner cannot re-try the activity and try to get a different score and/or have them averaged together.

I'm not sure if you can build a beta version of the open source code, but here's the branch tagged as Beta:

Instructure can you comment on the features for SCORM going forward and being able to build a working beta OS version of Canvas?

mmc...@lrei.org

Apr 16, 2015, 4:36:14 PM4/16/15
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, mmc...@lrei.org
This was the official reply from Canvas about this:

Seth (Help Center)

Apr 15, 07:19

Hi Matt--

Happy to help. I assume you're talking about the SCORM LTI, right? If so, that's a tool what won't be available to the open source community for the time being. This is because it's powered by Rustici's SCORM Cloud engine (see scorm.com) and there are licensing implications to our using it... and, especially, making it available to others.

Sorry!

Thanks,

Seth

Matthew Jeffries

May 15, 2017, 10:58:51 AM5/15/17
to Canvas LMS Users, mmc...@lrei.org
Hi Seth,

When you say there will be no support for the open source community - if they purchase SCORM Cloud independently, is the rest of the core functionality there? If so how do we marry the two up? I understand if not possible.

Thanks,

Matt

Markus Duesterhoeft

Oct 2, 2017, 3:59:06 AM10/2/17
to Canvas LMS Users
I was seriously considering Canvas as an open source LMS until it found out that SCORM is missing for on-premise :(

@Matthew Mclean, if this is due to requiring a license, does that mean it's unlikely for now to find any open source LMS that supports SCORM built in?

kind regards
Markus

Dave Perry

Nov 21, 2017, 11:04:04 AM11/21/17
to Canvas LMS Users
One word - moodle. Full SCORM support out of the box.

Not great for easy analytics of results recorded from a package (unless it's just an overall percentage you want per attempt), but it does put the data written back from a module into its database.

Dave

Jorge Herskovic

Nov 30, 2017, 10:47:35 AM11/30/17
to Canvas LMS Users
We did this - purchased SCORM Engine to run on-premise, and wrote our own LTI adapter. It was pretty easy, as long as you haves devs familiar with RESTFUL interfaces. The Rustici documentation for SCORM Engine is quite good too.