CustomReader not working in Safari 9?

Chul

Oct 5, 2015, 12:24:17 PM10/5/15
to Canisbos Extensions
If you are trying to open CustomReader's settings and can't find the settings (gear) icon where it used to be, that's because the icon is gone. In Safari 9, you have to use the context menu to access CustomReader's settings: right-click anywhere on a Reader view and select CustomReader Settings.

It would be nicer to be able to access the settings by clicking something in Safari 9's new Reader appearance dropdown, but unfortunately extensions can't touch that menu.

Canisbos

Oct 5, 2015, 12:25:38 PM10/5/15
to Canisbos Extensions
By the way, I will be updating CustomReader to work better with Safari 9's new Reader themes. Eventually.

M. Simmons

Jul 25, 2016, 4:13:26 PM7/25/16
to Canisbos Extensions
I absolutely love CustomReader* and wanted to post a quick note of appreciation for all of the hard work, as well as a few words of encouragement for any possible updates (but no pressure!).

FWIW I'd also be happy to purchase a working extension for a couple of bucks, if that's any incentive. :)

Cheers and thanks again!

* P.S. I stylized CustomReader after Metafilter, with white text on a venice blue background #005B8E, dark blue side panels #004970, and gold links #C5C502. Nice and easy on the eyes. [Custom Reader works on all but the side panels, which you can turn black with El Capitan's very limited custom settings. Better than white, but still not as elegant as CustomReader :)

Canisbos Computing

Jul 25, 2016, 5:30:06 PM7/25/16
to M. Simmons, Canisbos Extensions
Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement. I think the reason it's taking me so long to address improved Safari 9 support in CustomReader is that the new Reader features in Safari 9 pretty much eliminated the reasons I needed CustomReader. Now that Reader has a few different fonts and background colors, I find I don't need the extension so much.

What feature(s) of CustomReader make it indispensable for you?

Chul

"M. Simmons" <daven...@gmail.com> wrote:
--

---

Bruno HANQUIER

Apr 13, 2017, 9:17:51 AM4/13/17
to Canisbos Extensions, daven...@gmail.com
M. Simmons didn't answer your question, but I can: I've noticed that sometimes CustomReader renders pages better than Safari's stock feature.
A good example would be articles at https://motherboard.vice.com, where a number of texts associated with urls simply disappear in the stock reader, and don't with CustomReader. I guess Vice should update something on their servers, but every time I've written to them they've seem to entirely ignore my messages…
Plus, I would say all in all I really enjoy the flexibility CustomReader allows for.
So, here I am putting my vote in for an update to CustomReader to keep it up-to-date.
Cheers, and thanks for the awesome work!
B.

Canisbos Computing

Apr 13, 2017, 1:43:36 PM4/13/17
to Canisbos Extensions