Using Quickstyle to save zoom setting per site in Safari

Green Lantern

Mar 19, 2015, 7:56:09 AM3/19/15
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Greetings. Am using a 27inch iMac and have been frustrated for years that Safari is not able to save zoom settings per site. I recently ran into Quickstyle. It is capable of a great deal more than I would ever use. I am only interested in having it save the zoom setting for each site that I visit. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Not bragging either. If anyone out their can give me a simple "for dummies" answer as to how to do this I would be grateful. Thanks. GL

Canisbos Computing

Mar 19, 2015, 11:10:05 AM3/19/15
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

If all you want to do is zoom whole pages and have your zoom levels be remembered per site, Quickstyle can do that, supposedly. First, make sure a certain setting is enabled in Quickstyle's preferences. The prefs can be found in Safari's preferences dialog box, in the Extensions section, by clicking Quickstyle in the extension list. The setting that needs to be enabled is called "Take over ⌘+/⌘-/⌘0 keys for whole page zoom".

Having enabled that setting, you can just use the normal keyboard shortcuts for zooming a page (⌘+ and ⌘-), and Quickstyle will remember how much you zoomed on each site.

Or, anyway, it's supposed to. Just now I tried it on developer.mozilla.org and it did NOT work. That is, when I pressed ⌘+, the page did not zoom in. Probably a quirk of the site. You may find other sites where it doesn't work. Any time if you press ⌘+/⌘- and nothing happens, you can at least use Safari's built-in zooming function by pressing Shift-⌘+ / Shift-⌘- instead. Your zoom level will not be remembered, but at least you can still zoom.

Oh, one more thing: Quickstyle can only "capture" the ⌘+/⌘- keypress if a web page has "keyboard focus". That means that whatever you type is "sent" to the web page. A web page will normally have the keyboard focus as soon as you open it in Safari, or when you switch to it. It will NOT have the keyboard focus if you're typing in Safari's address bar, or if you have focused a toolbar button by tabbing to it from the address bar. A way to guarantee that the web page has keyboard focus is by clicking anywhere inside it (except for a form field, in which case the field will have keyboard focus). This issue of keyboard focus is something not a lot of people know about, and sometimes they think an extension is not working (in terms of hotkeys) when the actual problem is that the web page does not have the keyboard focus.

Chul

Bruce Klutchko

Mar 22, 2015, 11:39:41 AM3/22/15
to Canisbos Computing, cani...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chul,

Thanks. I tried this, and I discovered one small problem. I used ⌘+ on arstechnica.com, and the zoom worked fine and was remembered. But when I clicked on an article, it was not. http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/03/virgin-could-take-on-tesla-with-electric-car/ . I had to press ⌘+ to zoom each article on the site. If I manually select the front page after clicking the Quickstyle icon, the zoom does persist when I read articles. So I can work around this site, but wanted to let you know about this in case there's an easy fix.

I see that zoom does persist when clicking into other websites, so it may be particular to Ars.

Thanks.

Bruce

Bruce

Bruce Klutchko

--

---

Canisbos Computing

Mar 22, 2015, 1:15:52 PM3/22/15
to cani...@googlegroups.com
It was a bug. I had the whole-page-zoom setting tied to a body selector with classnames, and Ars Technica happens to use different classnames on the body element in different page types. I made it use just "body" as the selector for whole page zoom.

Update is available; version is 1.2.14. You'll probably need to set the zoom level on any page of Ars Technica once more to get the zoom level to work for all pages on the site.

Chul

Bob LeBlob

Apr 1, 2016, 2:51:56 PM4/1/16
to Canisbos Extensions
Remove this extension, it's a malware !
Really easy to check by yourself using the web inspector ...
Go and check now it's easy !