Any way to add a "Light" font as the body text?

Travis Bowen

Feb 5, 2015, 7:18:06 AM2/5/15
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Any way to add a "Light" font as the body text?  I type in "Merriweather Light" and it does not work.  I have tried Avenir Light as well.  Any way to do this?

Canisbos Computing

Feb 5, 2015, 10:41:26 AM2/5/15
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Most "Light" font faces are not separate fonts; they are part of a font family that is packaged together under a single name. So, for example, Avenir Light is part of Avenir. Some programs may show Avenir Light as a separately selectable font, but this is not the case for web browsers.

To use a Light font in CustomReader, enter the font family name (such as "Avenir") in the body font field, and then specify a font weight in the stylesheet under the Advanced tab. Look for the rule that starts with ".page". In the default stylesheet, it looks like this:

.page {
    font-family: "Georgia";
    color: #414141;
}

Add a "font-weight" declaration to this block. A value of 300 or lower will cause Safari to use the Light variation, if it exists.

.page {
    font-family: "Avenir";
    font-weight: 300;
    color: #414141;
}

You can hold down the Option key to preview the effect of your change on Reader. When you're done, click Save.

Please note: The difference between Avenir and Avenir Light is quite subtle. To see a bigger difference, try Avenir Next and Avenir Next Light.

Chul

--

---