Tab Options - Next / Previous Tab shortcut doesn't work without a website

Nic Fletcher

Jul 9, 2015, 5:20:07 AM7/9/15
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I love this extension, and I'm very grateful to all the developers.

Bug: The shortcut keys for Next and Previous Tabs do not work if the tab is showing the new tab page or an empty screen. Strange, because other shortcuts (I haven't tested all of them) do work when on these tabs. Sometimes I will open a new tab, but will then want to go back to a previous tab before completing what I want to do with the new tab.

So, next time someone feels like tinkering with the code, it might be something on the list to look at.

Many thanks,

Nic.

Canisbos Computing

Jul 9, 2015, 10:57:36 AM7/9/15
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Actually, none of Tab Options's keyboard shortcuts work on the New Tab page or on various other "pages" that Safari creates that are not web pages, or when no window is open in Safari. This is due to a limitation in the Safari extension API. Unlike Chrome extensions, Safari extensions cannot create "global" keyboard shortcuts that work all the time; they can only create shortcuts that work when an actual web page is in the active window/tab.

BTW, "all the developers" is just little old me.

Regards,
Chul

--

---

Nic Fletcher

Jul 10, 2015, 5:45:23 AM7/10/15
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Chul,

Thanks for the prompt replay and explanation.

I guess it was my bad in two ways:
  1. I thought the "open new tab in background" had worked when on an empty page. But I must have been wrong (I've just checked, and you are right... none of the shortcuts will work on these "non-pages."

  2. I saw a reference somewhere here about you thanking someone for an update to code, and assumed there was a group of you. But whether it is a group, or just little old you, I am still grateful that people give up there time to make other people's lives easier.
Thank you!

Nic.