CustomReader II 2.0.2 How to Change the Font that Actually Prints / Opens in Preview ?

Dr Alban

Oct 26, 2012, 5:54:08 AM10/26/12
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

Just a heads up if anyone can assist please.

I am now using CustomReader II 2.0.2 to view Safari 'Reader' documents more clearly in the font I like.

However often I click on the print icon and select open PDF in Preview then save the document for later use.

Problem is the viewing settings don't apply to the PDF generated by Safari.

Any ideas how to ensure the display font settings match the PDF / print font setting?

Many thanks in advance :)
Dave

Chul Kim

Oct 26, 2012, 9:52:55 AM10/26/12
to Dr Alban, cani...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

I will look into this.

Chul

Chul Kim

Oct 27, 2012, 7:00:55 PM10/27/12
to Dr Alban, cani...@googlegroups.com
CustomReader has been updated to version 2.0.3. Printing from Safari Reader will now respect your selections of body font, heading font, text alignment, and paragraph indentation/spacing.

Other styles, such as background color and page width, remain without effect when printing.

Chul

On Oct 26, 2012, at 2:54 AM, Dr Alban <drda...@gmail.com> wrote:

larbenge

Apr 12, 2014, 9:43:21 AM4/12/14
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Dear CustomReader Developers,

i'm new on CustomReaderII (2.1.7, on OS-X 10.7.2) and tackling the same issue.

But in my current config the my custom Screen-CSS-directives set via CustomReader do not stick while printing from READER mode (e.g.: "Open in Preview").
Additional attempts to utilize "@media print" directives did not change it either...

Am i doing s.th. wrong?

Your Plugin is gorgious anyways and affecting print layout too would make it perfect for me.

Best regards

Lars

Canisbos Computing

Apr 12, 2014, 2:26:24 PM4/12/14
to larbenge, cani...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It's not working because the @media print styles you are adding to CustomReader's stylesheet are not used by Safari when printing a Reader page. Safari uses a different stylesheet for printing Reader pages.

It may be possible to modify CustomReader to copy the @media print section that you add to its stylesheet into the print stylesheet. I will try to do this at some point, but because of time constraints I can't promise to do it soon.

Regards,
Chul

--

---

larbenge

Apr 13, 2014, 11:02:35 AM4/13/14
to cani...@googlegroups.com, larbenge
Hi Chul,

It's not working because the @media print styles you are adding to CustomReader's stylesheet are not used by Safari when printing a Reader page. Safari uses a different stylesheet for printing Reader pages.

interesting that is.

I havn't been sure if  I understood your earlier info...:

CustomReader has been updated to version 2.0.3. Printing from Safari Reader will now respect your selections of body font, heading font, text alignment, and paragraph indentation/spacing.

... right, suggesting that i actually don't have to tinker with a printer-specific styleheet on my own, just letting CustomReader taking care of it?

That did not work for me (CustomReaderII (2.1.7, on OS-X 10.7.2)) and was the very reason why i started trying my hand with that @media-approach...

Should that work out of the box, or would i have to configure it apropriately before adujustments to the reader CSS also apply for the preview-CSS?

Your idea to add that print-CSS-feature in a future release would be the icing on the cream - nevertheless!

Best regards

Lars

Canisbos Computing

Apr 13, 2014, 11:41:11 PM4/13/14
to larbenge, canisbos
Lars,

I don't know what could be going wrong. For me, CustomReader does indeed change the font, text alignment, and paragraph styling of Reader printouts (and saved PDFs), as it's supposed to.

I thought you were trying to change something else in printouts, such as the margin width.

I'm sorry, but I have no suggestion to make it work. Perhaps it's only failing on certain pages (i.e., all the pages you've tried it on)? Please give me one or two URLs of pages where you are certain that CustomReader's styling is not affecting printouts from Reader, and I will try to reproduce the problem.

Chul