How to add an extension in Yosemite Safari?

Mark Fleming

Dec 2, 2014, 1:04:15 PM12/2/14
to cani...@googlegroups.com
I'm new to Safari 8 in Yosemite -- coming from Chrome -- and am trying to figure out how to install your extensions.  When I go into the Extensions tab in Preferences, I see the Get Extensions button which brings me to the Apple page.  But when I search I cannot find CustomReader.  So it looks like I cannot add the extension that way.  On your CustomReader page, I see that I can download the file, which I did, but I don't know what to do with it. Thanks!

Canisbos Computing

Dec 2, 2014, 2:06:09 PM12/2/14
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Apple's Safari extension directory lists only a small percentage of the extensions that are out in the wild. To install one that is not listed there, you'll generally download an extension package—a file whose name ends with ".safariextz"—and then you just "open" the file by double-clicking it. That will make Safari install the extension. If double-clicking the file doesn't work, try dragging it into a Safari window.

Chul

--

---

Mark Fleming

Dec 2, 2014, 4:03:29 PM12/2/14
to cani...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Got CustomReader installed. However, now I don't see it anywhere in Safari.  I've ended and restarted Safari, and still don't see anything as is explained on your how-to-use page.  It does show as active in Safari Preferences.

Canisbos Computing

Dec 2, 2014, 4:12:57 PM12/2/14
to cani...@googlegroups.com
CustomReader is an enhancement to Safari Reader. You have to activate Safari Reader before you can see CustomReader in action.

To activate Reader, visit a web page that has long, article-like text, and then you should see an icon that looks like four lines of text in the left end of the address bar. When you move the mouse over this icon, it reveals the words "Show Reader View" in the address bar. (If you don't see this icon, the page you are on is not sufficiently article-like.) Click this icon or press Command-Shift-R to activate Reader.

Once Reader has been activated, you should see a gear icon at the top left corner of the first Reader "page". Click this icon to open CustomReader's settings window.

Please note that the actual reading view is provided by Safari itself; this is what is called Safari Reader. The only thing CustomReader does is to modify Reader's style.

Chul

Mark Fleming

Dec 2, 2014, 5:51:49 PM12/2/14
to cani...@googlegroups.com
AHA! Thanks so much. I see it now.  Too bad it only activates for long text.  My poor eyes could use it for shorter pages as well (I use Evernote Cleary for this in Chrome).

Canisbos Computing

Dec 2, 2014, 11:42:46 PM12/2/14
to canisbos
Yeah, it's too bad Safari refuses to make Reader available for short pages.

If you want a way to enlarge the text on any page persistently, another extension I wrote, Quickstyle, may be of use. Among other things, it will remember the zoom level for each site when you use ⌘+ and ⌘- to zoom a page. You can also zoom individual parts of a page, and have Quickstyle remember those zoom levels as well. This extension is quite complicated, though, so if you decide to try it out, please read the directions carefully.

Regards,
Chul