Why not LLVM for Candor?

Rick Richardson

Feb 1, 2013, 3:53:29 PM2/1/13
to cando...@googlegroups.com
It seems like compiling Candor to LLVM bytecode while leveraging its new GC support would be the fastest route to getting candor running both on a JIT VM and possibly natively compiled.
Also, their optimizer is pretty stellar.

If you leveraged its standard stack based calling convention, you might also have the opportunity to interoperate with other programming languages. One such candidate might be the PyPy LLVM target.

Tim Caswell

Feb 1, 2013, 3:56:40 PM2/1/13
to cando...@googlegroups.com
I think half the motivation for writing candor was to design the language in a way that a custom jit vm could be implemented.  However, for my new Jack language, I'm more than happy to use LLVM if possible.  I have no interest in implementing my own JIT.

Rick Richardson

Feb 1, 2013, 3:57:54 PM2/1/13
to cando...@googlegroups.com
Oh. Also you'd get free Candor -> Javascript compilation via the emscripten backend.

Fedor Indutny

Feb 1, 2013, 4:07:39 PM2/1/13
to cando...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rick,

About Candor -> Javascript, it already exists see: https://github.com/creationix/candor.js and http://candor-lang.org/.

I've considered LLVM, but honestly this doesn't seem to be a proper solution for me, candor's VM is much more complex. And there're a lot of stuff that'll be eventually implemented - like runtime function optimization/deoptimization.

Cheers,
Fedor.