PDA Weekly Field Report - 9/28 - 10/4

Conor Boylan

Oct 7, 2013, 11:41:50 AM10/7/13

 View as Web Page|Share on Facebook/Twitter
Tell a Friend

Shutdown? What Shutdown?

Dear friend,

Congrats Carl!

We are proud to announce the decision to endorse Carl Sciortino for Congress in the 5th Congressional District of Massachusetts. Read more here.

Take Action!

This Monday, October 7th, marks the 12-year milestone in America's longest war.  At least 52,500 U.S. troops remain in Afghanistan today, more than when President Bush left office in 2009. The Obama administration has conducted at least 20,700 air strikes in Afghanistan, including 5 to 10 air strikes per day throughout 2013, almost entirely unreported by the Western media. Please call on your Member of Congress to co-sponsor Barbara Lee's bill, HR 200, for a safe, orderly and complete withdrawal of US forces from Afghanistan. Click here for our PDA Action Alert.

Healthcare NOW! Conference

Best of luck to Tim Carpenter, Donna Smith, Kurt Bateman and Dr. Bill Honigman, who will be representing PDA at the annual Healthcare NOW! Conference in Nashville, TN to strategize on how to continue to move single payer forward. Thank you to those of you who helped offset some of their expenses. View the ad that we have in the program here.

Success!

Members of PDA Massachusetts welcomed authors John Nichols and Robert McChesney for an intimate book signing and conversation about their new book, Dollarocracy: How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America. View photos from the event here.

Educate Congress Letter Drop Campaign:

We want to remind you that our letter drop campaign will take place on October 16th.

Progressive Round Table

Our next Round Table is this Wednesday, October 9th, and will feature Rep. Mark Pocan (WI) and Rep. Jim McGovern (MA). It should be an interesting Round Table, given all the goings on in DC at present! Find out how you can watch it live here.

Issue Teams:

So why are credit unions under attack? The Economic and Social Justice team examined this on their call with Trey Hawkins, Vice President of Political Affairs at Credit Union National Association, Inc. (CUNA). To get a brief understanding of the issues, you can read this article on the team's page. Listen to the call here and learn the details of how they differ from banks, and why the banking industry is attacking them. To find out more about the team, visit their page here or contact them via email here.

Calls this week:

On Tuesday we will have our End Wars and Occupations call. RSVP here.

Blog Talk Radio:

See the full list of all our Blog Talk Radio shows here.

Upcoming Events:

Oct. 20

John Nichols and Robert McCheseny will join members in Los Angeles for a discussion of Dollarocracy on October 20.

Oct. 21

John Nichols and Robert McChesney will be joined by Tom Hayden, Mimi Kennedy and Tim Carpenter in Orange County, CA for a special event on October 21

Read:

Outreach:

Please share these handy quotes from PDA advisory board members by printing them off and/or sharing them on your Facebook pages (right click – save as – upload):

Spot the PDA family!

Leo Maley from PDA Massachusetts and John Nichols
at this week's “ Dollarocracy “ book signing.

In solidarity,

Conor Boylan, PDA Deputy Director
Andrea Miller, PDA Deputy Field Director
Tim Carpenter, PDA National Director
Judy Hess, PDA National Field Coordinator

Follow PDA