PDA Weekly Field Report - 10/12 - 10/18

Conor Boylan

Oct 20, 2013, 2:31:20 PM10/20/13

 View as Web Page|Share on Facebook/Twitter
Tell a Friend

A well “educated” week!

Dear friend,

Educate Congress Letter Drop Campaign:

We are still calculating the final numbers but are currently on target for a total of 197 letter drops around the country. This month we “educated” our members to get back to work and take a grand bargain off the table, on the the Trans-Pacific Partnership and on single payer healthcare.

You can view the letter that was delivered to Congressional offices here. Read the incomplete digest here

We also held a national call-in day on behalf of HR 676, Rep. John Conyers's bill for Medicare for All, with nine other groups, which generated thousands of calls into offices around the country. Big thank you to all of who participated!

Carl Sciortino Campaign:

Thanks to all of you who helped make calls for Carl Sciortino. Unfortunately Carl did not win, but ran a fine race and he will be back!

Take Action!

PDA members who called and e-mailed Congress to prevent U.S. missile strikes against Syria woke the sleeping giant of democracy in America and won a historic victory for peace and humanity over war and militarism.
As we keep pushing for a ceasefire, a peaceful political transition and humanitarian aid to Syria, we can also exercize the initiative to demand new diplomacy to end sanctions and normalize relations with Iran. Please use this PDA Action Alert to ask the President to engage in serious, good-faith diplomacy with Iran, and ask members of Congress to Co-sponsor Rep. Barbara Lee's bill, HR 783, to prevent war through diplomacy with Iran.

Congrats Tim and PDA!

The National Priorities Project will tonight honor their 2013 Democracy Champions. Tim will be given one of these awards for his relentless work for PDA and the progressive movement. He will thank all the PDA community for making it all happen.

Issue Teams:

End Mass Criminalization had a full agenda this week as they discussed the October 22nd Day of Action (click here to find out more), the California hearings on Solitary Confinement, legislative hearings on federal mandatory minimums, and much more. You can listen to the call here. To learn more about this exciting team, visit their page here or email them here.

After their return from the Healthcare NOW! national strategy conference, the Health Care Human Rights team had a great call with our own Tim Carpenter as they recapped the conference, discussed the direction of the single-payer movement, and made a big push for the National Call in Day for HR 676. You can listen here to the call. To find out more about the Health Care Human Right team, visit their page here or contact them directly by clicking here.

There was a dynamic and informative call with the Stop Global Warming team as they talked about the upcoming Global Frackdown events being staged worldwide (find out more here), and heard from NASA researcher, Carl Weaver, about what is really happening with climate change. You can listen to the call here. To find out more about this team, visit their page here  or contact them directly by clicking here.

Calls this week:

On Tuesday we will have our Election Integrity Issue Team Conference Call. RSVP and see agenda here.

On Wednesday we will have our End Corporate Rule Issue Team Conference Call.  RSVP and see agenda here.

Blog Talk Radio:

Here's the full list of all our BlogTalk radio shows here.

Upcoming Events:

This Weekend:

On October 19, 2013, the Global Frackdown will unite concerned citizens around the globe to tell elected officials that we want a future lit by clean, renewable energy; not dirty, polluting fossil fuels. The journey to a renewable energy future will not be fueled by shale gas. Take a stand against fracking — find an event near you and join the Frackdown!

John Nichols and Robert McChesney will join PDA members in Los Angeles for a discussion on Dollarocracy on October 20.

John Nichols and Robert McChesney will be joined by Tom Hayden, Mimi Kennedy and Tim Carpenter in Orange County, CA for a special Dollarocracy event on October 21

Read:

Spot the Letter Drop!

Members of our Massachusetts team delivered a letter during the week to Rep. Jim McGovern (MA).
Left to Right: Liz Quigley (staffer for Rep. Jim Mcgovern), Mollie Braun and
Michaele Marantz

In solidarity,

Conor Boylan, PDA Deputy Director
Andrea Miller, PDA Deputy Field Director
Tim Carpenter, PDA National Director
Judy Hess, PDA National Field Coordinator

Follow PDA