PDA Weekly Field Report - 8/17-8/23

1 view

Conor Boylan

Aug 26, 2013, 8:37:39 AM8/26/13

 View as Web Page|Share on Facebook/Twitter
Tell a Friend

Success!

Dear friend,

Letter Drop Campaign:

We are still calculating the final numbers but we are currently on target for a total of 233 letter drops around the country. This is great number given that fact that it is peak vacation season! Big thank you to all of you who participated. Our phone and fax teams have been diligently making between 5 and 10 calls into each of these offices and we are now
cranking out the faxes. We also asked members in targeted districts to make calls for HR676. The team in DC will visit many of these offices on Monday and we will report on that next week. This month we called on our Congress members to Cosponsor legislation in the Spirit of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. View the letter that was delivered here and read the full digest to see where the drops took place here.

NEW Power Point:

Here is a very useful tool to show PDA members, old and new, to all PDA is doing and our recent accomplishments.  It demonstrates how our PDA activities work together, and how they have gained us traction on the Hill. It describes our Issue Teams, and our Letter Drops, and has videos with recent highlights.  We recommend it be shown at your chapter meeting, and to groups which are interested in what PDA is, and does. Please download and take a look (use slide show for best viewing) here. Big thank you to Judy Hess for helping craft this and to our leadership for helping put the finishing touches to it. We will add it to our website in the coming weeks, when it gets its
"new look".

Issue Teams:

This month, the Healthcare Human Right team had a great call with special guest Cindy Young from National Nurses United, who spoke about building solidarity in state movements for single payer, and updated us on federal legislation that could enable state progress toward single payer. You can listen to the call here. To find out  more about this team, and how to get involved in the fight for single payer, visit their page here or contact them by clicking here.

Our Stop Global Warming team enjoyed a dynamic call with three guest speakers, which included Emily Wurth, Program Director of Food & Water Watch, who discussed the Bureau of Land Management Petition and Americans Against Fracking; Jesse Swanhuyser, Chair of the Sierra Club's Committee on International Trade, discussing the links between climate change and the Trans Pacific Partnership; and Michael Jay, a Fracking Activist, who gave us an update on fracking and what we can do about it. To hear the call, click here. If you would like to know more the team, click here, or contact them by clicking here.

Calls this week:

On Tuesday we will have our Election Integrity Issue Team Conference Call. RSVP and see agenda here.
On Wednesday we will have our End Corporate Rule Issue Team Conference Call.  RSVP and see agenda here.

BlogTalk Radio:

See the full list of all our BlogTalk radio shows here.

Upcoming Events:

Tomorrow PDA members from across this country will converge upon our nation’s capital to commemorate and celebrate the historic March On Washington which occurred 50 years ago on August 28, 1963. Find out more here (Note we ask that you try and get there as early as possible to avoid the crowds)

PDA will return to the Annual Fighting Bobfest in Madison, WI on Sept 6 and 7.

We will also be on the ground for a Robin Hood Tax Rally in New York City on September 17th

Action Alert:

No Fracking on Public Lands. Help us send the Obama Administration 250,000 messages telling them not to frack our lands!. Take action here.

Read:

Spot the Letter Drop!

Our Social Media Coordinator, Janis Kay, joined Washington State Coordinator
Walt Kloefkorn at Sen Patty Murray's office in Spokane, WA for a letter drop!

In solidarity,

Conor Boylan, PDA Deputy Director
Andrea Miller, PDA Deputy Field Director
Tim Carpenter, PDA National Director
Judy Hess, PDA National Field Coordinator

Follow PDA