PDA Weekly Field Report - 9/7 - 9/13

Conor Boylan

Sep 16, 2013, 9:04:57 AM9/16/13

 View as Web Page|Share on Facebook/Twitter
Tell a Friend

WE DID IT!

Dear friend,

Educate Congress Letter Drop Campaign:

Big thanks to all of you who participated in our emergency letter drop campaign last week to prevent military action in Syria. Our work paid off as you can see by Alan Grayson's message here.

We delivered at least 151 emergency letters, and you can see where here. Our team on the hill delivered 118 letters also. View the letter that was delivered here and see photos here.

We also had our monthly Progressive Round Table during the week, which featured progressive members of Congress and our alliance partners. You can watch the footage here

We return this Wednesday for our regular letter drops, which will focus on the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the Rep. Barbara Lee resolution on Syria - H.Con.Res. 53: Urging all parties to the conflict in Syria to work through the United Nations and with the international community to hold the Assad regime accountable and resolve the crisis in Syria through a negotiated political settlement.

Issue Teams:

We had a great speaker on the End Mass Criminalization team's call, which you can listen to here. d'Andre Teeter of the Stop Mass Incarceration Network gave a report on the California prison hunger strike and next steps, and talked about the vigils taking place. You can find out more about the team by visiting their page here or emailing them here.

It was a dynamic call with the End War and Occupations team, as they started up just after the President's speech. Listen to the call here to find out people's initial reactions, plus listen to the discussion with Stephen Miles of Win Without War and Sandy Davies of PDA. To find out more about the team, visit their page here or contact them via email here.

Calls this week:

On Tuesday we will have our Healthcare for All/Single Payer issue team call. RSVP here.
On Wednesday we will have our Stop Global Warming/Environmental Issues call. RSVP here

Blog Talk Radio:

See the full list of all our Blog Talk Radio shows here
.

Upcoming Events:

We will be on the ground for a Robin Hood Tax rally in New York City on September 17th.

Members of PDA Massachusetts will welcome Authors John Nichols and Robert McChesney for an intimate book signing and conversation about their new book Dollarocracy: How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America. This event will take place Monday, Sept. 30. More details here.

Read:

Watch:

Lori Wallach from Public Citizen discuss the Trans-Pacific Partnership at Progressive Central earlier this year.

NEW Power Point:

Here is a very useful tool to show PDA members, old and new, to all PDA is doing and our recent accomplishments.  It demonstrates how our PDA activities work together, and how they have gained us traction on the Hill. It describes our Issue Teams, and our Letter Drops, and has videos with recent highlights.  We recommend it be shown at your chapter meeting, and to groups which are interested in what PDA is, and does. Please download and take a look (use slide show for best viewing)
here. Big thank you to Judy Hess for helping craft this and to our leadership for helping put the finishing touches to it. We will add it to our soon-to-be new look website in the coming weeks.

Spot the Congressman!

We were privileged to spend some time with the Co-chair of the Congressional
Progressive Caucus, Rep. Keith Ellison, from Minnesota, earlier this week

In solidarity,

Conor Boylan, PDA Deputy Director
Andrea Miller, PDA Deputy Field Director
Tim Carpenter, PDA National Director
Judy Hess, PDA National Field Coordinator

Follow PDA