PDA Weekly Field Report - 10/5 - 10/11

Conor Boylan

Oct 13, 2013, 1:45:44 PM10/13/13

 View as Web Page|Share on Facebook/Twitter
Tell a Friend

PDA is NOT Shut Down!

Dear friend,

Educate Congress Letter Drop Campaign:

We can proudly say that we currently stand at over 150 letter drops for next Wednesday's Educate Congress Letter Drop campaign. In August we set a record of 236 – can we do it again this month? We will again work to move our progressive agenda forward by demanding that Congress get back to work, and that there be no grand bargain. We will also add our legislative asks.

You can view this month's letter that will be delivered to Congressional and DC offices here.  Listen to our planning call here.

Progressive Round Table:

Thanks to all of you who tuned in to watch the live stream of the Progressive Round Table on Wednesday. View the full meeting which featured Reps. Mark Pocan (WI) and Jim McGovern (MA) here.

Tim appeared on Thom Hartmann after the Round Table. You can view it here.

Carl Sciortino Campaign:

Reminder: the Primary for Massachusetts 5th district open seat is this Tuesday. Our nationally endorsed candidate Carl Sciortino needs us to help him over the finish line. Contact Mike Fox here to get active in his campaign!

Take Action!

PDA members who called and e-mailed Congress to prevent U.S. missile strikes against Syria woke the sleeping giant of democracy in America and won a historic victory for peace and humanity over war and militarism.  As we keep pushing for a ceasefire, a peaceful political transition and humanitarian aid to Syria, we can also seize the initiative to demand new diplomacy to end sanctions and normalize relations with Iran. Please use this PDA Action Alert to ask the President to engage in serious, good-faith diplomacy with Iran, and ask members of Congress to co-sponsor Barbara Lee's bill, HR 783, to prevent war through diplomacy with Iran.

Healthcare NOW! Conference:

Thank you to Tim Carpenter, Donna Smith, Kurt Bateman and Dr. Bill Honigman for representing PDA at the annual Healthcare NOW! Conference in Nashville, TN to strategize on how to continue to move single payer forward. Thank you to those of you who helped offset some of their expenses. View the ad that we have in the program here and see photos here.

Issue Teams:

This week the End War and Occupations team heard from Steve Cobble, PDA's own co-founder and Political Director, who spoke about the political and policy situation we are now left with regarding Syria, and what that means for activists moving forward. You can listen to the call here. Also, you can visit the team's page here to get the latest news, or contact them here if you would like to know more.

Calls this week:

On Monday we will have our End Mass Criminalization issue team call. RSVP here.
On Tuesday we will have our Healthcare for All/Single Payer issue team call. RSVP here
On Wednesday we will have our Stop Global Warming/Environmental Issues call. RSVP here.

Blog Talk Radio:

Here's the full list of all our BlogTalk radio shows here.

Upcoming Events

On October 19, the Global Frackdown will unite concerned citizens around the globe to tell elected officials that we want a future lit by clean, renewable energy; not dirty, polluting fossil fuels. The journey to a renewable energy future will not be fueled by shale gas. Take a stand against fracking - find an event near you and join the Frackdown!

John Nichols and Robert McCheseny will join members in Los Angeles for a discussion on Dollarocracy on October 20.

They will be joined by Tom Hayden, Mimi Kennedy and Tim Carpenter in Orange County, CA for a special event on October 21.

Read:

Spot the Healthcare Activists!

Participants from last weekend's Healthcare NOW! Conference in Nashville, TN

In solidarity,

Conor Boylan, PDA Deputy Director
Andrea Miller, PDA Deputy Field Director
Tim Carpenter, PDA National Director
Judy Hess, PDA National Field Coordinator

Follow PDA