New Callimachus Developers Tutorial

David Wood

Apr 15, 2014, 2:36:02 PM4/15/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We have a new developers tutorial available. We hope that it will answer some of the criticisms of the older tutorials and help new developers come up to speed on the core Callimachus concepts.

This tutorial leads you through the development of a Linked Data address book. A finished version of the application is also provided for your reference.

Please download the tutorial from:
http://support.3roundstones.com/tutorial/developer-tutorial.docbook?view

Comments appreciated! Your feedback can help improve the new user experience for everyone. Thanks.

Regards,
Dave
--
http://about.me/david_wood

Richard Howlett

Apr 16, 2014, 10:13:23 AM4/16/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Cool! I'll be going through it as soon as I get a chance and will be posting observations.

Charles Knell

Apr 19, 2014, 10:18:00 AM4/19/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
I've been through the web interface, and I don't see "import" as an option anywhere. I do see an "upload" option, but no "import".
What am I missing?

David Wood

Apr 20, 2014, 9:03:36 AM4/20/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

The import option is located in the main menu.  The main menu is located at the upper right of your screen.

Charles Knell

Apr 20, 2014, 9:05:13 AM4/20/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the pointer.

I found the “Import folder contents” option, then used it to import DeveloperTutorial-20140415.car.

This failed with a huge screen of Java exception messages, headed by:

"Not a valid (absolute) URI: in /callimachus/1.3/types/folder.ttl#DesignateAsFolder”

What suggestions?

Charles Knell

Apr 20, 2014, 10:08:35 AM4/20/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Still more grief.

After the spectacular failure on importing the new tutorial, Callimachus has gone toes up on my computer.

All I get when loading it is "Not Found : xxx", with the x's representing any page I try to load.

I ran the shut-down script, then ran the start-up script. No difference.

I re-started my computer, then re-started Callimachus. No difference.

At this point I am high and dry.

David Wood

Apr 20, 2014, 11:45:51 AM4/20/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Wow.  That’s interesting.  I have no immediate idea what could cause that.

I’m going to make a short movie showing you how to import the tutorial and will post it tonight or tomorrow, depending on what time I get home tonight.  Hopefully that will help.

In the meantime, can you send me your log file (log/callimachus.0.log)?

David Wood

Apr 20, 2014, 9:51:27 PM4/20/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have evaluated Charles’ log file and it looks like his Callimachus instance was badly corrupted somehow.  I don’t know what could have caused that, so we are continuing to search for answers with Charles.  Please let us know if anyone else experiences similar symptoms!

In the meantime, I have published a short video showing how to install the developers tutorial and placed a link to it on the tutorial page (at the bottom):

The direct link to the video on Youtube is:

David Wood

Apr 21, 2014, 1:57:09 PM4/21/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The resolution to this problem is that a new folder should be made for the tutorial CAR to be imported into.  The directions for the tutorial installation do say to make a new folder, but it might not have been clear enough.

The error experienced earlier in this thread was the result of the tutorial CAR file being imported directly into the home folder.  Callimachus then attempted to replace the contents of the home folder (that is, everything) with the contents of the tutorial CAR.  Some of that succeeded and some failed, due to permissions of the user performing the action.

A future version of Callimachus, potentially 1.4, will prohibit users from overwriting the /callimachus tree unless they are performing this action via an administrative application.

Charles Knell

Apr 22, 2014, 4:11:30 PM4/22/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
I've got the tutorial installed. Things appeared to be going well until I tried to save my newly-created profile.
At that point I got this error message:

"File format is not recognized: application/x-www-form-urlencoded for /Tutorial/finished-app/people/charles-knell"
Any idea what I got wrong?
Thanks.

Charles Knell

Apr 22, 2014, 4:15:10 PM4/22/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
On closer inspection. It looks like I created, not a person, but my profile picture appears in the list with the other persons. How do I delete this erroneous file?

David Wood

Apr 22, 2014, 4:24:13 PM4/22/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Select the “Edit” tab when looking at the picture and then select the “Delete” button.

Charles Knell

Apr 22, 2014, 4:34:58 PM4/22/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
OK. I've deleted the profile picture.
I decided to save the instance of person for the template I filled in.
I'm looking at the screen with the headline "New Person".
When I click the "Create" button on the lower left, I get a dialogue box prompting me to "Save As ..." with the value "charles+knell" appearing in the "Name" box.
Just below that, I see that I am in the "finished app / classes", well, for lack of a better term, "directory".
There is a single file shown, titled "Person".
This feels wrong. The inference I draw is that I am somewhere where a new class definition ought to be, and not an instance of the "Person" class.
Indeed, when I click the "Save" button, I get this error message:

"File format is not recognized: application/x-www-form-urlencoded for /Tutorial/finished-app/classes/charles-knell"

I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't a clue as to what that is.

Thanks.

David Wood

Apr 22, 2014, 5:52:54 PM4/22/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

I have tried to duplicate your results (FF on Mac, as I recall that is what you are using) but could not cause this error.

It is possible that this error could be thrown from JavaScript.  Could you try this action again and this time watch the JavaScript Console?  In Firefox, go to this menu item: Tools : Wed Developer : Web Console.  Let me know if you see a JavaScript error at any time during the process and, if so, what it says.

If that doesn’t find your error, we can go to a Skype screen share again.

Charles Knell

Apr 22, 2014, 6:02:31 PM4/22/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
When I click the “Create” button, which brings me to the “Save As” pop-up window, I get this output in the Javascript errors window:

GET http://localhost:8080/callimachus/scripts.js [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 13ms]
GET http://localhost:8080/callimachus/1.3/scripts/index [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 7ms]
GET http://localhost:8080/Tutorial/finished-app/classes/ [HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized 35ms]
GET http://localhost:8080/Tutorial/finished-app/classes/ [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 22ms]
GET http://localhost:8080/callimachus/scripts.js [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 11ms]
GET http://localhost:8080/callimachus/1.3/scripts/index [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 8ms]
GET http://localhost:8080/Tutorial/finished-app/classes/ [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 18ms]
GET http://localhost:8080/callimachus/1.3/images/class.png [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 12ms]

When I click the “Save” button, I get this output in the Javascript errors window:

POST http://localhost:8080/Tutorial/finished-app/classes/ [HTTP/1.1 415 File format is not recognized: application/x-www-form-urlencoded for http://localhost:8080/Tutorial/finished-app/classes/charles-knell 492ms]
GET http://localhost:8080/callimachus/scripts.js [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 12ms]
GET http://localhost:8080/callimachus/1.3/scripts/index [HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified 9ms]

David Wood

Apr 22, 2014, 10:04:11 PM4/22/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Wel, that certainly shows the error, but no additional information :(

Can you please go to your home folder and confirm that the folder in it that contains your copy of the tutorial is called “Tutorial” (with a capital T) and not “tutorial” (with a lower case t)?  Thanks.

I suspect we will need to screen share again to find and fix this problem.  Please suggest some times that will work for you.  Tomorrow and Friday are generally sane for me, but Thursday is out.

Thanks for sticking with this.  Your previous reports have caused us to rethink some possible actions that never occurred to us, so your feedback is quite valuable in making Callimachus a better product.

Charles Knell

Apr 23, 2014, 8:30:20 AM4/23/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Your comment on the usefulness of the debug output reminds me of the story of a man who gets lost in the fog while piloting a hot air balloon. Eventually he lands in a field where another man who has seen him land runs up to the balloonist.

Balloon pilot: “Where am I?”
Second man: “Standing in a basket in the middle of a field.”

Here’s a screen shot of my home folder:

You can see the “Tutorial” folder.

I have the “good fortune” to be job hunting, so my time is certainly more flexible than yours. Unless I get an email or a phone call offering an interview or a job, my calendar will be free the balance of the week, so, thank you for your offer of help, and I’m available at your convenience.

David Wood

Apr 23, 2014, 12:50:51 PM4/23/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Charles found a good bug in Callimachus 1.3 that is well illustrated by the developers tutorial.  It only appears when using Firefox.  We have confirmed that the problem is related to this issue:
…which has been repaired.

The Callimachus 1.3.1 Beta release fixes this problem and is available from:

Alternately, you can avoid the problem by using another browser, such as Chrome, until you get a chance to upgrade Callimachus.  The final release of 1.3.1 will naturally fix the problem.

Thanks to Charles for finding and pointing out this bug.

On Apr 23, 2014, at 08:30, Charles Knell <chas...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks. Your comment on the usefulness of the debug output reminds me of the story of a man who gets lost in the fog while piloting a hot air balloon. Eventually he lands in a field where another man who has seen him land runs up to the balloonist.

Balloon pilot: “Where am I?”
Second man: “Standing in a basket in the middle of a field.”

Here’s a screen shot of my home folder:

<PastedGraphic-1.png>
Message has been deleted

Charles Knell

Apr 24, 2014, 10:20:04 AM4/24/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
After working through creating a person as described in section 1.2.1 in the tutorial, I am confused by the results.

While the instructions clearly have the student create an instance of the Person class, I would have expected instruction on how to create an object which would appear with the other "people" in the "people" folder, where Wood, Bloggs, Frogs, and Ruth appear (Is it just me, or does this sound like a law firm?).

Instead, I have a new person appearing in the /Tutorial/finished app/classes location, along with the "person" template, the image file I uploaded, and the person object I created while following the tutorial.

Something feels wrong with the result.

David Wood

Apr 24, 2014, 9:03:34 PM4/24/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

The intent is for the new instances of the Person class to be saved in the finished-app/people/ folder.  If you do that, your new entries will look just like the others.

You might note that the tutorial does say:
[[
You will be asked to save the data for the new person via a dialog box.  Navigate to the folder Tutorial/finished-app/people/ and select the "Save" button as shown below.  You should try to save all your instances in a folder to keep your information organized, but should also know that Callimachus doesn't care where your data is stored.
]]

It might be better if the tutorial were updated to save the new instances in the appropriate folder by default, so that no navigation is necessary.  It should also explain how that was done :)  I’ll make those changes tomorrow and post an update.

Charles Knell

Apr 24, 2014, 9:47:06 PM4/24/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

I’m not reading closely enough, apparently.

Apologies, and I will read with more care.

Charles Knell

Apr 27, 2014, 12:29:18 PM4/27/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
I've been using it with the free version.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 23, 2014, at 7:30 PM, Gregg O'Marr <snow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dave,
>
> I was on the site looking for the tutorial. To me it looked like it is only available for the enterprise edition? Is this correct?

David Wood

Apr 27, 2014, 3:35:05 PM4/27/14
to callimach...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gregg,

Charles is correct. The tutorial is designed to work on either the Open Source or Enterprise editions.

Regards,
Dave
--
http://about.me/david_wood