Next transitcamp blog post- 16th avenue (with images)

Peter Schryvers

Nov 6, 2011, 10:25:11 PM11/6/11
to calgary-t...@googlegroups.com, william....@shaw.ca
Hey everyone,

As promised, attached is the first draft of the 16th avenue BRT blog. Basically it focuses on the design issue of the route (where to put the lanes and how to do it) and so includes quite a bit of images. Let me know if there are any comments you have, or suggested changes, and I will be happy to incorporate them. It is a little lengthy, so I may also want to cut a few things out. The images are to be intergrated into the text when the blog is posted, and I hope the image sizes work well (they are 5" x 3").

As always, William will have the final say, being the editor, but I am sure he would welcome any suggestions too. :)

William, just a note, can you remove the editor's note at the beginning? Also, my name is spelled wrong, it should be Schryvers, not Schreyvers.

Peter
November 9- 16th Ave.doc
Image 1.jpg
Image 2.jpg
Image 3.jpg
Image 4.jpg
Image 5.jpg
Image 6.jpg

Matt Alcock

Nov 7, 2011, 12:42:18 AM11/7/11
to calgary-t...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Peter,

I think this looks pretty good so far. It is just a first look at how that route would operate, but it gives a good explanation of how to deal with the more complex section between 14 St W and 6 St E.

I have a couple comments here: 16th Av was only widened between the east ramp at 14 St W, and 6 St E, and the design of the sections west of 14th and east of 6th will have to be handled differently. In particular, the section between 14th and Crowchild has a very narrow median, and very poor pedestrian access to 16th itself (I live there, so I get a first hand experience of this every day). As well, some sort of connection to Lions Park station would have to be thought up, and running the BRT along 14 Av like the 19 currently does would not work, because of turning off of 16th, and because there is no room at Lions Park for articulated buses or BRT stations.

Other than that, what's left is just station locations, and discussing any parts of the route that aren't between 19 St and 6 St. I would like to suggest that we think of a route past Foothills Children's and U of C as following the 91 to Brentwood and not a "loop" as described here.

I will have more to say about the route in general, since I am familiar with the area, but it doesn't apply to this particular post.

Matt Alcock

Chris Larsen

Nov 7, 2011, 9:39:17 PM11/7/11
to calgary-t...@googlegroups.com
Well done as usual Peter and I can't disagree with any of the solutions y