April 12 Lecture & new website

Jeremy Barretto

Mar 21, 2012, 8:33:51 PM3/21/12
to calgary-t...@googlegroups.com

Hello TransitCampers,

We received an enormous response for our April 14 "Better Transit in Calgary" workshop (only a few tickets left). I am writing you with two more exciting announcements:

1.    We have added a lecture on April 12 by Portland Transit expert Jarrett Walker. The Lecture is at 7 p.m. at the John Dutton Theatre (no RSVP required). Mr. Walker is talking about the geometry of transit-friendly development. Anyone who is interested in transit, bikes or urban planning will enjoy this lecture. See attached details and please distribute widely. This event is sponsored by CivicCamp, Calgary Transit and the ITE and is organized by Ryan Martinson.

2.    TransitCamp YYC has a brand-new website transitcamp.caFacebook Page and increased Twitter presence. Please promote these sites in your networks so we can engage as many people as possible. Thanks to Cody Torgerson for helping us to set up these tools.

We need volunteers to assist on-site with our events on April 12 and 14. If you are interested please send me an email.

Best regards,

Jeremy Barretto

--

Human transit

Jarrett Walker presents a new approach to transit planning & transit oriented design

7 pm  Thursday April 12, 2012 – free admission, no RSVP required

At the John Dutton Theatre at the W.R. Castell Central Library (616 Macleod Trail SE)

Jarrett Walker, a Portland based public transit expert, believes that transit can be simple, if we focus first on the underlying geometry that all transit technologies share. In this lecture he’ll detail how the fundamental geometry of transit shapes successful systems; and the local choices that lead to transit-friendly development.

Walker will address the key questions that should be addressed and debated within communities and by leaders and planners of transit in order to create systems that are both resilient and useful for the communities they serve.

Jarrett Walker bio

Jarrett Walker is an international consultant in public transit network design and policy, and has been a consulting transit planner for more than twenty years. He has overseen more than 20 major projects re-designing public transit systems in and played key roles in major interdisciplinary projects in cities such as San Antonio, Seattle and Minneapolis.

Mr. Walker is the author of Human Transit: How clearer thinking about public transit can enrich our communities and our lives and writes a leading transit blog:http://humantransit.org.

TransitCamp YYC

This event is made possible thanks to the generous support of: Calgary Transit, Institute of Transportation Engineers Southern Alberta Section, CivicCamp, The City of Calgary and Sustainable Alberta

Jarrett Walker Talk April 12.pdf