RuntimeError: App did not start

Pearl Friis

Jun 11, 2017, 3:54:10 PM6/11/17
to calabash-android
Good Afternoon,

Hoping someone has seen similar behavior before and can help me out.  I have only been able to run calabash-android with the following steps, otherwise I get the "App did not start" runtime error.

I am not running from behind a proxy.

I have this included in my AndroidManifest.xml (within the manifest tag, after the application tab):

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />

I am able to run my features with the following steps:

1. Delete app from the emulator
2. Run on emulator from Android Studio
3. Do not stop the app from Android Studio
4. Switch to terminal and resign the apk (calabash-android resign ###.apk)
5. Start calabash-android console (bundle exec calabash-android console ###.apk)
6. start_test_server_in_background (succeeds with nil and I see the app close and reopen on emulator
7. Exit console
8. Run (bundle exec calabash-android run ###.apk)
9. All scenarios execute to completion so long as I don't call the following from any of my hooks: ensure_app_installed, start_test_server_in_background, shutdown_test_server, clear_app_data If I call any of these from my hooks I see "RuntimeError: App did not start" afterwards.

I have also tried leaving the app uninstalled on the emulator and running reinstall_apps from the console before start_test_server_in_background and in that case I see the "App did not start" error in the console as well.

I'm not sure what else I should try to be able to run after resign from the terminal and allow my hooks to start the test server.

Any help or advice you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
:-)