Mobo for Athlon 64?

Troels Oxenvad

Dec 6, 2003, 9:32:22 AM12/6/03
Seriously considering an Athlon 64 system, not the FX but the more
affordable 3200.
I'd like to know what mobo to get with that, there are a lot to chose from
already.
My instinct tells me to avoid the Via chipsets and go with nForce 3.
All input appreciated.

Troels

kitekrazy

Dec 6, 2003, 1:16:40 PM12/6/03
I've got the 2nd to latest VIA chip set the 600 I think. No problems at
all.

The latest issue of Tom's Hardware Guide covers the latest Athlon 64
boards. Check it out.

"Troels Oxenvad" <theoxenvad...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Ted Perlman

Dec 6, 2003, 1:23:40 PM12/6/03
<Seriously considering an Athlon 64 system>

You should seriously unconsider that thought.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

kitekrazy

Dec 6, 2003, 3:21:00 PM12/6/03
Personal bias.

"Noel" <no.t...@I.dont.want.your.spam> wrote in message

> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:23:40 GMT, "Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> ><Seriously considering an Athlon 64 system>
> >
> >You should seriously unconsider that thought.
>

> Any clues as to why, or are you keeping that to yourself? ;-)

Ted Perlman

Dec 6, 2003, 3:47:26 PM12/6/03
<Personal bias>

Professional bias towards equipment that doesn't interface as well with the
outside world as Intel. Professional bias towards something that is not
supported across the board by not only international computer builders but
by international software manufacturers.

If any of the assholes here who do not interface with anyone but their own
hands while working in the basement want to recommend athlons for DAW work,
then any other assholes that want to take said advice are on their own.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

kitekrazy

Dec 6, 2003, 4:21:22 PM12/6/03
I'm sure the same argument could be used against the PC since many
professionals would also recommend MAC. But I will let you and Scott Reams
continue this debate and let the new readers decide.

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

jddj

Dec 6, 2003, 5:38:30 PM12/6/03
"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> so articulated

> If any of the assholes here who do not interface with anyone but their
> own hands while working in the basement

What else is there to do in the basement besides interfacing with my own
hand?

Dave

Michael

Dec 6, 2003, 5:50:42 PM12/6/03
In <news:Xns9449A95...@151.164.30.93>,
jddj said:

May I suggest getting out of the basement and checking out the barn?

((U))

Ted Perlman

Dec 6, 2003, 6:10:55 PM12/6/03
<I will let you and Scott Reams continue this debate>

Scott builds asshlon systems.

However, I actually use Windows PC's to make records. And (oh my gosh!!) I
get paid for my work!

That's a big difference. Who are you going to listen to?

TP

Steven Myers

Dec 6, 2003, 7:08:19 PM12/6/03
sam booka wrote:
> Another reason to really hate Athlons would be if you had lots of INTC
> in your portfolio. <g>

Geez. From a "balanced portfolio" (which I call diversity) standpoint, I
have too much.

But I install AMD chips every chance I get.Do I have a problem here?
I mean, should I continue investing in products that make me more money
while installing products that work better? <only the slightest g>

kitekrazy

Dec 6, 2003, 7:38:57 PM12/6/03
The guy who gets paid for making computers.

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

C Hudson

Dec 6, 2003, 8:06:39 PM12/6/03
Like Brian Tankersly? <VBG>

I knew he had no talent :)

Sorry man, couldn't resist
--
C Hudson
http://unitedfordave.org

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

---

Ted Perlman

Dec 6, 2003, 8:34:39 PM12/6/03
<The guy who gets paid for making computers>

Call me when you actually start working in music.

TP

Ted Perlman

Dec 6, 2003, 8:35:20 PM12/6/03
<Like Brian Tankersly?>

Spelling : Tankersley.

And he uses P4's now.

Ooops....

TP

Ted Perlman

Dec 6, 2003, 8:36:44 PM12/6/03
<But I install AMD chips every chance I get>

Are you making a livng in the music business as either a producer, musician,
or anything else where you actually have to deal with the outside world?

I didn't think so. I need my equipment to actually work when people are here
paying me.

TP

Ted Perlman

Dec 6, 2003, 8:59:14 PM12/6/03
<So does Pete>

So does most of the real world. Especially anybody in the music business who
doesn't use a Mac.

TP

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 6, 2003, 9:10:44 PM12/6/03
Ah... now we're back!! Missing you Ted... eheh...

But really, some of this is more than personal bias. A customer brought back
an M-Box because his VIA chumpset couldn't interface... he happily found the
Omnistudio to work best. However, another one, who roams here, (Hi Scott...)
had a Midisport (!) and had to change it to a Biport so he could work MIDI.

Ted rules, man, don't you know? Maybe Athlon is the shit, but Intel is more
tasty... something seems to be lost in the translation, but I'll let you
guys figure it out...

Andre

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 6, 2003, 9:12:01 PM12/6/03
I heard THAT! OMG...

Andre

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote in message
> In news:stvAb.33709$Sl7....@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com the killer robot
> "Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> > Spelling : Tankersley.
> >
> > And he uses P4's now.
> >
> > Ooops....
>

> So does Pete.
>
> --
> Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
> _______ _____ ___ _____ ____
> / ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
> / (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
> \___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
> Glennbo These go to eleven
> Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
> Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits

Scott Reams

Dec 6, 2003, 9:23:29 PM12/6/03
> Professional bias towards equipment that doesn't interface as well with
the
> outside world as Intel.

Cite specific examples of proof, Ted.

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 6, 2003, 9:24:15 PM12/6/03
> Scott builds asshlon systems.
>
> However, I actually use Windows PC's to make records. And (oh my gosh!!) I
> get paid for my work!
>
> That's a big difference. Who are you going to listen to?

What difference? I use PCs to make records... and actually get paid for my
work. No difference.

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 6, 2003, 9:25:20 PM12/6/03

"sam booka" <My...@il.is.the.kitchen> wrote in message

> Noel <no.t...@I.dont.want.your.spam> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:23:40 GMT, "Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >><Seriously considering an Athlon 64 system>
> >>
> >>You should seriously unconsider that thought.
> >
> > Any clues as to why, or are you keeping that to yourself? ;-)
>
> It could be because Athlons do not have a unique CPU identifier, and
> people theoretically could anonymously commit crimes with them.
>
> That is pretty much moot these days,

It's also moot because most people turn this off in the motherboard BIOS.

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 6, 2003, 9:26:14 PM12/6/03
And since you don't have nor have you ever had an Athlon64 or AthlonFX
system, you have no idea whether or not it would work in your case. You have
only assumption and conjecture.

-S

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Troels Oxenvad

Dec 6, 2003, 9:21:29 PM12/6/03
Now that I know what Ted thinks,
Does anybody here, with actual hands-on experience with an Athlon 64 3200,
have anything wise to say about motherboards for it?

Troels

C Hudson

Dec 6, 2003, 9:55:17 PM12/6/03
Really? Damn!
I haven't talked to him in a few months.

my bad I guess, Oh well, I've got big shoulders :)

--
C Hudson
http://unitedfordave.org

C Hudson

Dec 6, 2003, 10:00:04 PM12/6/03
Sorry, there are none <g>

"Scott Reams" <sre...@liquiddaw.com> wrote in message

Ted Perlman

Dec 6, 2003, 10:27:54 PM12/6/03
<I use PCs to make records>

Name something that actually made it out of your studio that you produced or
played on or arranged or something using one of those piece of shit asslons.

Name one.

TP

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 6, 2003, 10:34:56 PM12/6/03
Could that essplain the abundance of crap music out there? Aren't the record
labels aware of this?

Andre

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

C Hudson

Dec 6, 2003, 11:12:45 PM12/6/03
There are more albums produced ( way more) on Macs than Intels, therefore
Intels must be garbage.

Bad Logic Ted, You'll be buying a dual G5 with that frame of mind.

The record companies think crappy music is good, that does not make it good.
At the end of the day, what most people think is not necesaily the truth.
They're just tools guys.
Who cares where the silicon comes from. Does it work? good. Does it make you
money? Good.

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

---

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 12:00:10 AM12/7/03
A lot of work on Cake's Fashion Nugget was done on an AthlonMP system.

There's your one. I win.

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 12:01:16 AM12/7/03
Gigabyte makes great nForce3 boards for both A64 and AFX.

-S

"Troels Oxenvad" <theoxenvad...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Troels Oxenvad

Dec 7, 2003, 12:58:21 AM12/7/03
Thank you Sir!

Troels

Scott Reams <sre...@liquiddaw.com> wrote in message

kitekrazy

Dec 7, 2003, 12:50:28 AM12/7/03
Don't need to I already do.

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Prince Lee

Dec 7, 2003, 3:04:17 AM12/7/03
Awwww here we go, that's right kids make it feel like the old NG.

Ted, really we know you don't like Athlons or AMD anything for that matter,
but actually you can't make valid statements or accusations about hardware
you haven't dealt with.

And your aged experience with a much older Althon system doesn't count. The
new AMD64 systems
are already considered better for audio and the encoding/decoding of video,
test have show this.

The new Win XP 64 is being built around the technology of the new AMD
processors as well.

National bias simply has no place in these discussions. The majority of
people out there will simply allow
themselves to be moved just because everyone else is doing it. Sadly there
are fewer of us who will rely
on anything more than street knowledge or actually do the necessary homework
it takes to help make the
best decisions.
Those who are willing to understand a thing are always going to get more out
of it than those who aren't.
There will always be those who are simply led by what they're told, for that
reason, there are a great many
companies out there with ProTools/Mac studios and many others with those
pseudo ProTools/Mac_PC
systems.

To the main point, one would also want to consider that the AMD64's can not
be maximized as of yet.
It may be wise to wait for, at least, the release of WinXP64 to find out
just how much you'd be able to get
out of the combo. Also, there is still the question of who is going to jump
on the 64bit bandwagon.

When I see Cakewalk and Audio card manufacturers like EchoAudio jump on
board with drivers written for 64bit
processing then I will start taking it very seriously. This is simply my
choice as I don't like to buy into anything
not fully realized.

As it is now, these 64bit chips are just out running the current competition
as 32bit possessors, which is cool,
but at the same time, with so much untapped power I'd wait and see just how
much can truly be achieved with
them in a full 64bit playfield or at least to see a true beginning with the
64bit OS.

If you must buy now, here are two of the better boards I've seen
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nf3.html and
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket940/sk8v/overview.HTM

Prince Lee

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 4:00:16 AM12/7/03
Can't argue with that. :)

-S

> In news:utyAb.66698$1u3....@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com the killer robot
> "Scott Reams" <sre...@liquiddaw.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship

> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>

> > Cake's Fashion Nugget was done on an AthlonMP
>

> Yeah, but they were all reluctantly crouched and stuff. ;)

Ted Perlman

Dec 7, 2003, 5:30:10 AM12/7/03
<Don't need to I already do>

Doing what? Put up or shut up.

TP

Ted Perlman

Dec 7, 2003, 5:30:55 AM12/7/03
<There's your one. I win>

I said that YOU did. I saw the credits on that one. You were an assistant
engineer on ONE song.

TP

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 5:35:15 AM12/7/03
Which was a misrepresentation (and there is no mention of "how many songs").
I did quite a bit of tracking and at least two mixes. You'll notice that for
the record that followed Fashion Nugget, I am listed as an engineer (not an
assistant)... yet I did very little in that case. Of course... it also spent
time on the Athlon system.

-S

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Ted Perlman

Dec 7, 2003, 6:06:04 AM12/7/03
<yet I did very little in that case>

Whew!! Thank goodness you didn't have to list TWO things, huh?

Here's how the business breaks down:

Most folks in the "pro" world are still on Macs. That's the truth, whether
anyone here wants to admit it or not.

But there are a lot of guys using PC's on a "pro" level. Out of those guys,
probably 95% are running Intel machines. Most of the major DAW builders make
Intel machines. That's also the facts, whether you want to accept it or not.

Athlons are mostly shit for audio, regarding compatibility, performance,
user friendliness, and life expectancies. Whether a few guys actually use
them on a "pro" level or not doesn't take away from the fact that there are
valid reasons why Carillon and Sweetwater and other big names do not sell
Athlon systems. Accept this, or keep denying the facts.

TP

Kevin Perry

Dec 7, 2003, 6:15:26 AM12/7/03
Actually, the A64 SiS chipset beats all the others hands down.

--

Kevin Perry
The Mountain Grill

"It is the business of the future to be dangerous;
and it is among the merits of science that it equips the future for its duties."

"Troels Oxenvad" <theoxenvad...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Seriously considering an Athlon 64 system, not the FX but the more
> affordable 3200.
> I'd like to know what mobo to get with that, there are a lot to chose from
> already.
> My instinct tells me to avoid the Via chipsets and go with nForce 3.
> All input appreciated.
>
> Troels

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 7:08:31 AM12/7/03
> Most folks in the "pro" world are still on Macs. That's the truth, whether
> anyone here wants to admit it or not.

...but does this imply that Macs are more stable or more capable than Intel
machines? Of course not. Neither does your claim that more DAW users have
Intel CPUs than have AMD CPUs imply that Intel systems are any more stable
or capable than AMD systems. Don't forget that more people eat at McDonald's
than eat at In-N-Out.... but who has the better burger and better service?

> Athlons are mostly shit for audio, regarding compatibility, performance,
> user friendliness, and life expectancies.

These are vague and inaccurate generalities, Ted. Cite examples. What is the
exact life expectancy difference between an Athlon64 and a Northwood-core P4
CPU? (as a side note... life expectancies of CPUs are meaningless when we
consider how quickly computers are made obsolete by newer technology). What
DAW-specific performance difference is there between an AthlonFX51 and a
3.2GHz P4? What do you know of that has compatibility problems with
Athlon64, but not with P4? How about vice versa (yes, there are examples).

The fact is... you have no idea. All you have is the ability to say "shit
for audio" and hope it means something to someone besides yourself.
Meanwhile... there is nothing you can do on your P4 that I cannot do on my
AthlonFX... and then some. Nothing.

> Whether a few guys actually use
> them on a "pro" level or not doesn't take away from the fact that there
are
> valid reasons why Carillon

I've mentioned this before... and I'll mention it again. I called Carillon
to ask the specific reasons they choose only Intel CPUs. They had only one
reason... they claimed they could not make their systems quiet enough with
an AMD CPU. I know this to be BS... because I can build a quieter air-cooled
system than anything they build... with, yes, an AMD CPU. Easily. Especially
with the lower-coltage Athlon64 and AthlonFX, which I'm sure they've never
even looked at.

Otherwise... the world is simply not the fairytale land of absolutes you
wish it was. It is very well known that companies like Dell enjoy extremely
favorable contracts with Intel simply for the fact that they remain
exclusive with Intel. If they add a single AMD-based product to their line
up, they lose that advantage. Politics play a large part in this. They must
when 95% of review sites are finding AMD's current CPUs to be the fastest
(while also being 100% reliable and compatible) x86 CPUs in existence at
this time almost across the board.

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 7:14:24 AM12/7/03
I don't know about "hands down". The benchmarks I've seen show very small
differences (usually less than 1%)... and generally mixed results. It is
definitely a viable choice, however... although the quality motherboard
choices are a bit slim with this particular chipset right now.

-S

"Kevin Perry" <perry...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Steve Karl

Dec 7, 2003, 7:29:55 AM12/7/03

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:wQDAb.33958$%M.6...@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com...

> Here's how the business breaks down:
>
> Most folks in the "pro" world are still on Macs. That's the truth, whether
> anyone here wants to admit it or not.

Not relevant to the quality or performance of an Athlon machine.

> But there are a lot of guys using PC's on a "pro" level. Out of those guys,
> probably 95% are running Intel machines. Most of the major DAW builders make
> Intel machines. That's also the facts, whether you want to accept it or not.

Same as saying most county players use a Telli instead of a Les Paul.
It has no reflection on the quality of the other instrument.

> Athlons are mostly shit for audio, regarding compatibility, performance,
> user friendliness, and life expectancies.

Purely a personal bias unsupported by facts.

>Whether a few guys actually use
> them on a "pro" level or not doesn't take away from the fact that there are
> valid reasons why Carillon and Sweetwater and other big names do not sell
> Athlon systems. Accept this, or keep denying the facts.

Once again it's purely a matter of prefference, not based of performance
or cost, or reliability...but purely marketability.

Intel is still a "safer sounding" name...because of marketing...tv commercials etc.

The facts are, by spec. and bench testing, that AMD is a better performer
when it comes to plugins.

Your track record with the pro music business has nothing to do with your
personal bias towards intel, which you are totally entitled to, by the way.

Attempting to "use" that track record, as a point of credibility when it comes to
making a judgment about the quality of a product you have very little experience with
is not valid logic.
It's Hollywood smoke and mirrors logic.

Your one bad experience was way back in the dark ages of via, even before KT-133,
and for all we know it was you personal "user error" or lack of insight that was the problem.

Oh and by the way...nice hijack. :-P

An as for my personal opinion, at this point, and right out of the box,
XP isn't as good a performer as Win98SE for CWPA9.
The latency in XP is way out in some other galaxy...same settings, same 1 .wrk file
2 OS partitions on same box......
...............................................however.....
I'm gonna try to tweak XP into place...just for the hell of it.

XP has much less video latency ( lag/drag ) than 98SE.
Now why is that?
That's the only reason I'm gonna try to get my XP partition working with CWPA9.

Steve Karl

> TP

Ted Perlman

Dec 7, 2003, 8:07:22 AM12/7/03
<Your one bad experience was way back in the dark ages of via>

I am in constant touch wih users around the world who have problems with
Athlons that are solved by getting P4 machines.

Their bad experiences and more are what leads me to write what I write. But
you know what? You know more than me, so go ahead and waste your money and
your time. I have neither to throw away. Good luck.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Kevin Perry

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 7, 2003, 9:05:10 AM12/7/03
Wow, all this chat and here is the 1st real answer to Troels's real
question! Aaaahhhh... the good days of the CoffeeHouse are back it seems.
Now why is it happening here in the .audio? Hmmm... we must be hard to
weane...

As the conversation keeps going, I noticed I could use my Delta card with no
problem when I installed Intel chipset. Popcorn AMD didn't like Delta. I
did, so I changed to Intel. It worked much better.

It also cost me around $800 for that change because of the price of the
DDUMRAM on a P4 1.8 ... which ended up being much slower than a T-Bird ...

Oh well, next time around, though... and Win2000 works much better than 98SE
for me here. Won't touch XP for a while.

Andre

Steve Karl

Dec 7, 2003, 1:26:45 PM12/7/03
Ted,
I'm not competing and don't think I know more than you.
It just seems like you're not supporting your position with any concrete information.
Hearing specific technical details would be good education for all conscerned.

I've not wasted any time or money building and using Athlon machines.
They've all been ( 5 to date ) flawless, reliable and less expensive than Intel/Pentium
as far as I can see.
Any problems encountered were driver updates, easily solved with a little browsing.

I'm sure that you're friends solved their problems by switching to Intel/Pent.
It's also quite possible that the problems could have been solved without changing
motherboard and processor.

Steve Karl

Aesop

Dec 7, 2003, 1:53:32 PM12/7/03
Great answer to Troels question. I'm sure he appreciates the insightful
*cough cough* and friendly input. Jesus Christ you guys, why did you even
bother to try and help?

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 2:44:30 PM12/7/03
> As the conversation keeps going, I noticed I could use my Delta card with
no
> problem when I installed Intel chipset. Popcorn AMD didn't like Delta. I
> did, so I changed to Intel. It worked much better.

A couple of reasons this doesn't apply to the question at hand...

1) There are no Intel chipsets for the CPU he is asking about. You may as
well have suggested a Mac. :)

2) He never mentioned a Delta interface.

3) Intel is one of several companies that makes chipsets that work well with
Delta interfaces. NVidia and SIS are two more. "Popcorn AMD" doesn't specify
a chipset. If it was Via... well, Via makes chipsets for Intel CPUs as well,
so you can't very well put any blame at all on AMD.

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 2:45:52 PM12/7/03
Well... if you find any of the 5% examples, post them here. I just looked
over a pair of reviews and didn't see anything in that ballpark.

-S

"Kevin Perry" <perry...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Kevin Perry

kitekrazy

Dec 7, 2003, 3:01:57 PM12/7/03
I didn't know it was so technically challenging to get an AMD system up and
running flawlessly.

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 7, 2003, 3:27:56 PM12/7/03
I hear you, Scott. I wish it had been simpler at the time, but I didn't have
either more time nor energy to keep on seeking and trying things out by
elimination. At some point, you just want to startup the thing and work! So
I made the change, and it worked way better...

I'm sure it wasn't worth it $-wise, though... if I had had the expertise
things may have been quite different. You got to know when to say you're
stomped, and I certainly was...

:O)

Andre

"Scott Reams" <sre...@liquiddaw.com> wrote in message

kitekrazy

Dec 7, 2003, 3:40:51 PM12/7/03
It all boils down to what you are confident with. If you have suspicions
using AMD machines then it is not a good idea to buy one.
"Organfreak" <plon...@plunk.plink> wrote in message

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 11:06:04 GMT, "Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Most folks in the "pro" world are still on Macs. That's the truth,
whether
> >anyone here wants to admit it or not.
> >
> >But there are a lot of guys using PC's on a "pro" level. Out of those
guys,
> >probably 95% are running Intel machines. Most of the major DAW builders
make
> >Intel machines. That's also the facts, whether you want to accept it or
not.

> >Athlons are mostly shit for audio, regarding compatibility, performance,
> >user friendliness, and life expectancies. Whether a few guys actually use
> >them on a "pro" level or not doesn't take away from the fact that there
are
> >valid reasons why Carillon and Sweetwater and other big names do not sell
> >Athlon systems. Accept this, or keep denying the facts.
>
> Alot of things to comment on here.
> I doubt that most of us in this forum are pros. Our needs may be
> different than yours. We use what works for us. If Athlons didn't work
> very well for audio, you'd be reading about that here every day.
>
> As a professional, you certainly have a right to comment on what works
> best for you, but your expertise in recording doesn't imply anything
> about your computer expertise. Does an airline pilot know all about
> how his autopilot is designed and built. No. Why? He doesn't have to
> know in order to do his job well.
>
> Finally, it ain't the meat, it's the motion. Ted should understand
> this better than most. Good tools are important, but hardly the
> defining factor in producing excellent work. I always bring up the
> case of master jazz organist Joey DeFrancesco. He plays Hammond B-3s
> on the gig, but if you give this guy a toy synthesizer (or anything
> else), he still sounds fantastic and sounds just like Joey
> DeFrancesco. To quote a Dan Bonow tune, "It's what you do that makes
> it true."
>
> -OF

Nick Busigin

Dec 7, 2003, 3:57:04 PM12/7/03

Hi Scott,

I'm considering getting a system similar to what Troels is looking at,
ie. AMD-64 3200+ CPU and a Gigabyte Mobo. I want to stick a couple
of Delta 1010 cards in it. Is the NVidia nForce chipset on this board
likely to cause me problems with my Delta 1010 cards?

Nick

http://www.songbirdofswing.com
Nick Busigin nick...@xwing.org
Visit Our Indie Jazz CD Construction Project!

Ted Perlman

Dec 7, 2003, 4:53:50 PM12/7/03
<several companies that makes chipsets that work well with
Delta interfaces. NVidia and SIS are two more>

N'Videa - YES.

However, a great big "NO" as far as SiS is concerned. And that comes from my
own personal experience of the past year.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Dec 7, 2003, 4:56:04 PM12/7/03
<It also cost me around $800 for that change because of the price of the
DDUMRAM on a P4 1.8 ... which ended up being much slower than a T-Bird>

?????????? I have a P4 1.8, and it's fst as shit, and the ram was not rthat
much money. Plain old DDR ram on an Intel 845 mobo and chipset. It sounds
like you bought something some ding dong advised you to buy.

REMEMBER!!! Intel chipsets only for P4's. Asus or Intel mobos advised. And
it will all work brilliantly.

What the fuck is DDURAM?

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Dec 7, 2003, 4:56:57 PM12/7/03
<AMD-64 3200+ CPU and a Gigabyte Mobo. I want to stick a couple
of Delta 1010 cards>

AMD + Delta 1010's = bad combination.

Actually, AMD + anything is a bad combination.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Dec 7, 2003, 4:58:50 PM12/7/03
<I didn't know it was so technically challenging to get an AMD system up and
running flawlessly>

Now you do.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 7, 2003, 5:05:44 PM12/7/03
I got a P4TE mobo... Intel all around... 845.

DDUMRAM = dumb ram, or RAM for dummies... I never figured out why I paid so
much for RAM... when it never made the computer faster anyways... I thin
it's RDRAM?

$800 CND...

I followed your advice, Ted, and bought all Intel... <G>

Andre

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Nick Busigin

Dec 7, 2003, 5:46:21 PM12/7/03
On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 16:53:50 -0500, Ted Perlman wrote:

> <several companies that makes chipsets that work well with Delta
> interfaces. NVidia and SIS are two more>
>
> N'Videa - YES.
>
> However, a great big "NO" as far as SiS is concerned. And that comes
> from my own personal experience of the past year.

Hi Ted,

Thanks! I now realize that I misread Scott's post. I thought he
said that NVidia chipsets did *not* work well with Delta interfaces
when in fact he was saying they do.

kitekrazy

Dec 7, 2003, 7:15:29 PM12/7/03
Maybe the SiS chipsets for Intel do not work will with Deltas.
I have the SiS chipsets on an AMD board with an Audiophile 2496 and
experience no problems.
"Nick Busigin" <nick...@xwing.org> wrote in message

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 7:55:13 PM12/7/03
> <It also cost me around $800 for that change because of the price of the
> DDUMRAM on a P4 1.8 ... which ended up being much slower than a T-Bird>
>
> ?????????? I have a P4 1.8, and it's fst as shit,

...and how did you come to the conclusion that it was "fast"? Compared to
what?

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 7:57:11 PM12/7/03
> Actually, AMD + anything is a bad combination.

> N'Videa - YES.

Uh... you are contradicting yourself, Ted. NVidia makes chipsets for AMD
CPUs... but not for Intel CPUs. So a "yes" to NVidia is a "yes" to AMD.

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 7:58:12 PM12/7/03
Huh? This portion of the thread discusses slight performance differences
between chipsets... there is nothing here about difficulty of setup.

-S

"kitekrazy" <pyo...@mfire.com> wrote in message

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 7, 2003, 8:19:40 PM12/7/03
As fast as shit, I think he said... Ted knows how fast shit flies around
here... <VBG>

Andre

"Scott Reams" <sre...@liquiddaw.com> wrote in message

kitekrazy

Dec 7, 2003, 8:26:56 PM12/7/03
I know. Some people misread my thread. All my systems I've built using AMD
processors (most with VIA chipsets) and never had the problems some people
complain about.

"Scott Reams" <sre...@liquiddaw.com> wrote in message

Scott Reams

Dec 7, 2003, 8:46:55 PM12/7/03
Gotcha.

-S

"kitekrazy" <pyo...@mfire.com> wrote in message

Ted Perlman

Dec 8, 2003, 12:40:17 AM12/8/03
<...and how did you come to the conclusion that it was "fast"?>

When I can open 25 softsynths, a bunch of fx, and plugins without the
machine barfing, then that's a fast machine.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Dec 8, 2003, 12:49:08 AM12/8/03
<I followed your advice, Ted, and bought all Intel>

You didn't pay attention very well, oh northern dude. I listed my
components, and there was never anything about RDram, only DDRam. And
although it's okay, I have always recommended at least a 2.2. P4, not the
1.8. I also specified the Intel 845 chipset. Perhaps if you'd stop wavering
and actually make a decision you wouldn't have these problems.

I also recommended the best computer DAW builder I know - Jim Roseberry - to
build your machines. If you had followed my advice to the letter, you'd be
happy as my clients and friends who listened to me are. Like Phil Cody. And
Dave Mason, (I am co-producing his new CD) who is going to have Jim build
him the same machine as I have been using for his music. And others....film
composers, producers, songwriters, artists, etc.
--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Dec 8, 2003, 5:22:51 AM12/8/03
<Itanium can't run 32 bit apps. Some say it can't run 64 bit apps either.
Pity.>

Yes, that's what's stopping you from making it big in the music business. Or
from composing that great song. Or from producing that great record. Sixty
four bits is all you need to get over that hump.

TP

Scott Reams

Dec 8, 2003, 5:28:22 AM12/8/03
> When I can open 25 softsynths, a bunch of fx, and plugins without the
> machine barfing, then that's a fast machine.

That response is far too general to mean anything to me... if 90% of current
systems can do 20% more... then that 1.8GHz P4 simply isn't fast. If we
really want to use the term "fast" so loosely... I could say a Commodore64
is fast.

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 8, 2003, 5:29:16 AM12/8/03
> You didn't pay attention very well, oh northern dude. I listed my
> components, and there was never anything about RDram, only DDRam. And
> although it's okay, I have always recommended at least a 2.2. P4, not the
> 1.8.

But didn't you say the 1.8GHz p4 was "fast"? So are you saying now that it's
"not fast enough"?

:)

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 8, 2003, 5:31:32 AM12/8/03
The Via chipset is pretty fast... but I wouldn't put anywhere near 10%
better than the alternatives. We must remember that the Northbridge is now
on the CPU, and not made by Via/NVidia/SIS. Performance differences between
chipsets only tend to show up on the Athlon64 platform when the Southbridge
is really being stressed. And even then, those differences are small.

-S

> "Kevin Perry" <perry...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I will - I think I read it one lunchtime last week at work, so I'll
> > check my history tomorrow.
> >

> Over at Tom's Hardware, the latest shootout put the VIA based 800 series
> MSI K8 10% ahead of the competition, which was all the latest K8 chipset
> offerings.
>
> They would have tested it against intel if intel had anything with 64
> bits that worked at all. Itanium can't run 32 bit apps. Some say it can't
> run 64 bit apps either. Pity. <g>
> --
> ___________________________________
> sambo

Scott Reams

Dec 8, 2003, 5:32:40 AM12/8/03
One could say the same about you and Intel, Ted. Intel doesn't make you the
producer/engineer you are. And AMD doesn't hinder you from being that
either.

-S

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Ted Perlman

Dec 8, 2003, 6:45:31 AM12/8/03
<But didn't you say the 1.8GHz p4 was "fast"?>

I said i was "fast" but I wouldn't recommend it as a first choice. Andre
doesn't read the entire post, and thus ends up getting the wrong stuff.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Dec 8, 2003, 6:46:41 AM12/8/03
<I could say a Commodore64 is fast>

You would say anything except that the reason most folks run Intel is
because they are more reliable and simply...better.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Dec 8, 2003, 6:48:01 AM12/8/03
<AMD doesn't hinder you from being that either>

Yes it would, because I wouldn't finish my work. I'd be here, whining and
bitching and asking for help unsticking my Athlon from the floor where it
would have fused itself.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 8, 2003, 8:22:13 AM12/8/03
Hi Ted,

I got what I could afford, in line with the main thrust of your intervention
and council: get Intel. I'm not bitter at all, nor do I blame you (the
unthinkable!). I'm simply disapointed in the performance I got when I could
have gotten much better.

I had no money at the time, and a friend was doing me a favor to let me pay
after the contract I was doing at the time, was done. However, the client
pulled the plug after I invested the money that never came. I'm not sure I
would have wanted to put Jim through that...

As far as the RAM, I was told by the PC guy that it was a new type that took
advantage of new technological developments in the P4.

I'm running Win2000 now, and beside having installed a scanner that now
keeps my computer from shutting down, (I think that's it), I'm quite happy
with the performance. I'm looking forward to a new level of P4, though...

Regards, Your Southern Dudeness, <G>

Andre

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 8, 2003, 8:25:43 AM12/8/03
I've just finished a new tune yesterday, and for the first time used Waves
Reverbs, on at least 3 tracks. plus destructive effects on other tracks. It
takes at least 12 seconds to open the project... it freezes the computer
for that.

Is that usual?

Andre

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 8, 2003, 8:27:18 AM12/8/03
LOL!

I can see it... :O)

Andre

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

DG

Dec 8, 2003, 1:59:22 PM12/8/03
Most computer builders that I know are f... incompetent. When you tell them
you want to make music, they tell you to buy a "SoundScraper" Audigy ,this
is the best soundcard(sic). When you tell them you want at least 2 hard
drives, they say : "You don't need that, put a bigger one and partition it";
and if you ask them a question they don't know the answer, they will answer
you anything just to make you feel they are knowledgeable people!

Building a computer is easy, building the right computer could be another
story.

So, as far as music recording is concerned, I would be more tempted to
believe the guys who makes music than the guys who makes computers.

Dominique

"kitekrazy" <pyo...@mfire.com> a écrit dans le message de
> The guy who gets paid for making computers.

> "Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> > <I will let you and Scott Reams continue this debate>
> >
> > Scott builds asshlon systems.
> >
> > However, I actually use Windows PC's to make records. And (oh my gosh!!)
> > get paid for my work!
> >
> > That's a big difference. Who are you going to listen to?
> >

> > TP

C Hudson

Dec 8, 2003, 2:08:39 PM12/8/03
Problem is, there are several people making music using all platforms.
So, advice to avoid one could easily be countered by another who has it
working right. It is way more about the person than the machine.

--
C Hudson
http://unitedfordave.org
"DG" <non...@domain.net> wrote in message

---

Ted Perlman

Dec 8, 2003, 2:37:31 PM12/8/03
<So, as far as music recording is concerned, I would be more tempted to
believe the guys who makes music>

That's how I feel.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Scott Reams

Dec 8, 2003, 3:01:13 PM12/8/03
> You would say anything except that the reason most folks run Intel is
> because they are more reliable and simply...better.

Despite the fact that you are changing the subject and avoiding my
comments... no, they are not. Both companies' CPUs are quite capable.
Intel's are better in certain scenarios... and AMD's are better in other
scenarios.

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 8, 2003, 3:04:00 PM12/8/03
Probably because you would have opened the system for a looksie... seen the
AMD brand name on the CPU... and lit the system up into a raging bonfire
before ever turning it on. You live by the pre-conceived notion.

-S

kitekrazy

Dec 8, 2003, 6:04:48 PM12/8/03

I would consider it the user's responsibility to add their choice of
soundcards. If you are using the tools like Sonar, you should have some
basic knowledge of hardware. Most of us have built our own systems. So when
something doesn't work out there is no support line to deal with. I can also
take the recently purchased hardware back to the store and exchange it.
As for soundcards and software I usually ask those who make music. For
other things like boards and CPU I can trust computer builders.

"> >So, as far as music recording is concerned, I would be more tempted to
> >believe the guys who makes music than the guys who makes computers.
>

> You would have a point if we were talking about guys who build generic
> computers, but people who specialize in DAWs are much more likely to
> know what's what, especially the ones being mentioned here.
>
> -OF

Steve L.

Dec 8, 2003, 7:01:45 PM12/8/03
"kitekrazy" <pyo...@mfire.com> wrote in news:vta0kgclijqr62
@corp.supernews.com:

> As for soundcards and software I usually ask those who make music. For
> other things like boards and CPU I can trust computer builders.

Wow! I just highlighted the text and copied and then when I went to reply
to the post the text that I highlighted was already there! Still learning
xnews. any how.....

You need a guy that knows both because certian sound cards won't work well
with certian chipsets and you need someone "in the know" to steer you in
the right direction.

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 8, 2003, 11:34:26 PM12/8/03
Nope, and actually, this time around, Waves installed and works without me
having to ever enter any challenge response...

I was weirded out by that, but quickly recovered... <g>

> The entity known as Andre Lefebvre, posted:

> > I've just finished a new tune yesterday, and for the first time used
> > Waves Reverbs, on at least 3 tracks. plus destructive effects on other
> > tracks. It takes at least 12 seconds to open the project... it
> > freezes the computer for that.
> >
> > Is that usual?
>

> With PACE infected Waves? Did the computer also reboot itself?
>
> --
> Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
>
> _______ _____ ___ _____ ____
> / ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
> / (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
> \___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
> Glennbo These go to eleven
> Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
> Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits

Ted Perlman

Dec 9, 2003, 4:11:54 AM12/9/03
"Intel's are better in certain scenarios... and AMD's are better in other
scenarios>

Scenario where Intel is better: Any working situation making or recording
or mixing music.

Scenarios where AMD is better:

1. In prison
2.For executions
3.For frying eggs
4.Sometime you just have to crash!!
5.Word on the street is that AMD will get you laid
6. AMD is lighter to pick up.

...and so on and so on....

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Dec 9, 2003, 8:02:16 AM12/9/03
<Now that AMD has the dominant lead again>

Fuckin' fantasy land around here sometimes. Nothing at all to do with the
outside "real world".

TP

Andre Lefebvre

Dec 9, 2003, 10:18:55 AM12/9/03
<G>

Andre

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Delameko Stone

Dec 9, 2003, 10:37:03 AM12/9/03

> <AMD-64 3200+ CPU and a Gigabyte Mobo. I want to stick a couple
> of Delta 1010 cards>
>
> AMD + Delta 1010's = bad combination.

Ted Perlman + intelligent conversation = bad combination

Ted Perlman

Dec 9, 2003, 11:59:41 AM12/9/03
<#5 should have said with AMD you will get screwed>

I wish I had said that.

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Dec 9, 2003, 12:01:06 PM12/9/03
<Ted Perlman + intelligent conversation = bad combination>

I'm getting shit talked to me by someone named "Dela-fuckin-meko". What
other goodies will today bring?

TP

kitekrazy

Dec 8, 2003, 10:28:38 PM12/8/03
That's what newsgroups are for. Some people fail to do their homework. One
guy bought a new system, Yamaha SW1000XG, Gigastudio 160 and a lot of
expensive samples.
His mistake was not knowing Yamaha does not make a GSIF driver for Windows
XP.
You also have to weigh what others say because you will get biased opinions
and card manufacturers like Echo will be upfront on what works.

"Steve L." <s...@nospamsbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Bob

Dec 9, 2003, 5:45:41 PM12/9/03
Delameko - That's a fuckin steak ain't it

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

kitekrazy

Dec 9, 2003, 6:52:25 PM12/9/03

> Which begs the question: Is anybody clambering for the almighty G5? <g>

Probably only MAC users. PC Magazine did some benchmarks on certain apps
(office,ect) and an Athlon 64 outperformed a twin 2ghz G5. The G5 performs
best in areas like photo editing. I can't imagine a PC user wanting to swap
platforms when there is very little software out there without having to do
mail order.
But MAC users will consider the G5 the best system on the planet and all
the PC users are using ancient technology.

Scott Reams

Dec 10, 2003, 2:50:51 AM12/10/03
> Which begs the question: Is anybody clambering for the almighty G5? <g>

The "almighty" dual 2GHz G5 is getting bested in ProToolsLE benchmarks by
single AthlonXP 2500+ systems... so I doubt it.

:)

-S

Scott Reams

Dec 10, 2003, 2:51:35 AM12/10/03
What were the results of your last audio-specific performance comparison,
Ted. Athlon64/FX vs P4/P4EE.

-S

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Ted Perlman

Dec 10, 2003, 8:18:20 AM12/10/03
<Athlon64/FX vs P4/P4EE.>

Intel: 63
Athlon: 4

That was the final score. It was a rout. The coach was fired immediately
after the game.

Any other questions?

--

Regards,