AMD or Intel P4

Ill Soooo Youuu

Feb 27, 2004, 5:51:48 PM2/27/04

I am going to build a new DAW next week and would like to know what you all
think would work best AMD or INTEL p4 system.
Thank you

kitekrazy

Feb 27, 2004, 6:30:48 PM2/27/04
Screw both of them. Go MAC and Pro Tools.

This is getting old.

"Ill Soooo Youuu" <stan_T...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Cary Altschuler

Feb 27, 2004, 6:29:54 PM2/27/04
Z80! ;-)

CA

MX West

Feb 27, 2004, 7:01:58 PM2/27/04
MAC OSx, dual G5s, 8GB Memory. Metro SE
http://www.sagantech.biz/metro/metrose.shtml

.-"-.
| ___|
| (.\/.) Mike West
| ,,,' www.sonarama.com
| '### mxw@
'----'

Sue Morton

Feb 27, 2004, 7:02:42 PM2/27/04
CP/M! A man after my own heart.

:)

--
Sue Morton

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote in message
> In news:SpQ%b.1284$Zo6...@twister.socal.rr.com the killer robot "Cary
> Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> > Z80! ;-)
>
> CPM Roolz!
>
> --
> Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
> _______ _____ ___ _____ ____
> / ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
> / (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
> \___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
> Glennbo These go to eleven
> Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
> Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits

kitekrazy

Feb 27, 2004, 7:37:46 PM2/27/04
Maybe Playstation or X Box will come out with something.
"MX West" <mi...@uniquephoto.com> wrote in message

Steve L.

Feb 27, 2004, 7:46:19 PM2/27/04

Ill Soooo Youuu

Feb 27, 2004, 7:54:26 PM2/27/04
Hi Guys, Why is it so hard to get a straight answer out of anyone here. I
have been recording music professionally before most of you were born. I
worked in the Record Plant in NYC with majors in the late 70s. And I am not
holding that as something above you. Just a simple fact.
I have been out of that end of the Bizz for years and now play and tour pro.
. This is my first attempt at a real DAW for home. Anyway, I am trying to
get a plain answer and i get these childish remarks like try playstation or
some other real silly remarks..
Perhaps there is a more mature newsgroup that could help me.. Unfortuantely
I have Sonar 3 and thought that this was the palce to start looking.
Thanks anyway,

"kitekrazy" <pyo...@mfire.com> wrote in message

Steve L.

Feb 27, 2004, 7:58:39 PM2/27/04
"Ill Soooo Youuu" <nevermind@db..owie.com> wrote in

Either will work.
Did you look at the nifty case?

Ill Soooo Youuu

Feb 27, 2004, 8:07:13 PM2/27/04
yes .. but wont the plane motif be more prone to crashing?? ha-ha

Ted Perlman

Feb 27, 2004, 8:18:44 PM2/27/04
<"Ill Soooo Youuu" wrote:
I worked in the Record Plant in NYC>

So did I, and I cannot remember anyone there named anything as stupid as
"Ill Soooo Youuu". I even scanned my old phone books from the 70's and 80's
in NYC, and still cannot find anyone with a name even similar to "Ill Sooo
Youu". Were you going by a different name back then? Perhaps "Eyyyye Ammm
Dickheaddddd"? :-)

Ted Perlman

Steven Myers

Feb 27, 2004, 8:34:40 PM2/27/04
> Why is it so hard to get a straight answer out of anyone here.

When someone arrives at a newsgroup and asks a question that is discussed
EVERY FZCKING DAY, it seems to indicate that the asker didn't think it worth
the trouble to read a little bit before posting the EXACT SAME QUESTION THAT
GETS ARGUED HERE EVERY DAY.

The answer is:
There are people here (>50%, I think) who think either AMD or Intel will
work fine, if you do your homework. There is a small faction of people who
value brand loyalty above everything (makes me think of the Ford-Chevy
thing) and will insist that only Intel will do.

FWIW, I've recently installed an Asus mobo and P4 processor. Works great.
Really great. Nothing against the AMD-based system I was using previously.
It worked great, too.

Try to relax.

ChrisB

Feb 27, 2004, 8:34:35 PM2/27/04
Naw, just unplug the cassette cables and route them through the 1010s.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:57:21 GMT, Glennbo
<vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote:

>In news:CUQ%b.3762$VY5....@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com the killer robot
>"Sue Morton" <867-...@domain.invalid> grabbed the controls of the

>spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>

>> CP/M! A man after my own heart.
>

>I am having trouble running Sonar on my Sinclair ZX81 though, should I
>upgrade to a Soundblaster Oddigy? ;)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/crispwilliammusic.htm
http://www.wingedglobe.com

Steve L.

Feb 27, 2004, 8:45:15 PM2/27/04
"Ill Soooo Youuu" <nevermind@db..owie.com> wrote in news:5RR%b.2404$6K.527
@nwrddc02.gnilink.net:

> yes .. but wont the plane motif be more prone to crashing?? ha-ha
>

>> Either will work.
>> Did you look at the nifty case?

Check out the other pic of the 4x4

Steve L.

Feb 27, 2004, 9:26:54 PM2/27/04

MX West

Feb 27, 2004, 11:36:58 PM2/27/04
So you don't like the MAC answer? Get an Intel system then:
http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/ozma_3200.aspx?SysCode=PC-OZMA3200&SubCode=SKU-EXTREME

And don't be so uptight. People will think you're an asshole all the time.

Ciao,

Ricky W. Hunt

Feb 28, 2004, 12:56:29 AM2/28/04
"Ill Soooo Youuu" <nevermind@db..owie.com> wrote in message

> Hi Guys, Why is it so hard to get a straight answer out of anyone here

For one, there's a bunch of people here all with different tastes and
experiences. As with anything (as in music in general) there'll be someone
who thinks one thing is a piece of shite while another will think it's the
bomb. (I can't believe I just stooped to "hip" language!). And it only takes
ONE bad experience with something (a line of products or an individual
model, or heck, even a "format" such as digital) to turn that person off
FOREVER. And they will rant about it to no end, even though it might have
not been the particular fault of that piece of gear - face it, there's a LOT
of variables and interdependencies that goes into this, or they could have
just gotten hold of a "defective" unit, which happens with ALL gear from
time to time. Truth is you'll find some people very pleased with AMD (while
others think they are garbage) and same feelings about Intel (though I think
price and being on the cutting-edge speed-wise and the tweakability for
those confident in their tech skills affects the decision, again just my
opinion). I've never had a single problem using Intel, but then again, I've
never used anything else so what do I know?. But I've heard success stories
and great music made with both. And I've heard horror stories and crappy
music made with both. Personally, for me, I always use Intel because it has
worked for me in the past, so no reason to change.

Scott Reams

Feb 28, 2004, 1:05:06 AM2/28/04
Well put.

-S

"Ricky W. Hunt" <ricky...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ill Soooo Youuu

Feb 28, 2004, 4:48:52 AM2/28/04
ted i was a player there... in there all the time... it would be silly for
me to use my real name here... perhaps you remember Iovine... i will leave
it at that.... i dont need to impress...
i am just trying to get a straight answer from some of the platinum record
weenies in here.. jees.. they all have a sonar setup in there basements and
suddenly they think they are bob clearmountian... even bob is more humble
than these over inflated producer wanna bees..
what are you doing lurking around in here... ever hear from shelly... dick
head?

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Ill Soooo Youuu

Feb 28, 2004, 4:58:37 AM2/28/04
Scott and Glenbo Thank you. you helped a little.. All the studios seem
to use MACs with protools.. I personally am a PC guy.. and never liked
Protools.. I got Sonar at the NAMM show and have been figuring on what type
of machine to build it around.. Money really isnt the problem.. So i
figured i need to try to pick some minds of geniuses here and we get guys
like pearlman trying to be a snot nose.. he needs to go get me some
Java...tape op boy.. those were the days... 2 in tape..
Anyway I thank you guys for your info..

Dream On.

"Scott Reams" <sre...@liquiddaw.com> wrote in message

Steve Karl

Feb 28, 2004, 7:44:59 AM2/28/04
hey bozo....
You're the one that's primpin' your feathers and strutting your history.
All the people here have been doing is having fun with the question that has been asked a million times.

The whole point is there is no set "written in stone" answer to your question......oh....
other than the one you'll get from Ted...who knows everything of course. <g>

However, the benchmarks are still putting AMD in front for performance with plugins.

Scott Reams will be along soon to point you to some links.......
i.e. if you don't continue to be obnoxious <g>

Steve Karl

Steve Karl

Feb 28, 2004, 7:50:00 AM2/28/04
P.S.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ on an Abit NF7S 1gig of DDR400 ram and Western Digital JB Series drives. ( 8 MB cache)
Have built 2 other ( similar machines ) in the past 6 months and no problems other than one modem that didn't like Win98.

I still think AMD is out performing P4s when it comes to plugins, and I need to worry about being
cost effective so I go for "bang for the buck"

Steve

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 11:48:33 AM2/28/04
"Ill Soooo Youuu" <nevermind@db..owie.com> wrote in message

>i am just trying to get a straight answer from some of the platinum record
> weenies in here.. jees.. they all have a sonar setup in there basements
and
> suddenly they think they are bob clearmountian... even bob is more humble
> than these over inflated producer wanna bees..

Your attitude sucks. It seems with you, credibility is very important. Am
I a Bob Clearmountain? No, but this "weenie" has fixed his gear, as well as
many other "industry heavyweights", including where you used to work. Am I
artistic as well? Yes, but I chose the "tech" route, because engineering,
and being a musician took too much time away from the wife and kids.
Getting that "ego" shit out of the way, now I'll answer your question.

I choose to use AMD for performance reasons. I have 7 PC's in the house as
well as 2 Macs. Several are Intel and several are AMD. I prefer to use AMD
for Sonar and gave the Intel boxes to the wife and kids. When Ted chimes
in, he will tell you AMD has dependibility problems and Intel is the only
way to go. To each his own. Now you understand why asking such a question
here can start a string of useless posts. and why people reacted the way
they did.

CA

Tim

Feb 28, 2004, 11:59:10 AM2/28/04

> In news:CUQ%b.3762$VY5....@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com the killer robot
> "Sue Morton" <867-...@domain.invalid> grabbed the controls of the

> spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> > CP/M! A man after my own heart.
>
> I am having trouble running Sonar on my Sinclair ZX81 though, should I
> upgrade to a Soundblaster Oddigy? ;)

Set your clock. 2004 is 23 years away.

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 12:20:06 PM2/28/04
Oh wow! You were an Amiga dood? I was an Atari ST dood! Just goes to show
what they say about opinions!

CA

> In news:BD30c.1388$Zo6...@twister.socal.rr.com the killer robot "Cary
> Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship

> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>

> > I prefer to use AMD for Sonar and gave the Intel boxes to the wife and
> > kids. When Ted chimes in, he will tell you AMD has dependibility
> > problems and Intel is the only way to go.
>

> Amiga is the most stable platform...
>
> Well except for the guru meditation things, but I think those are just
> supposed to be a friendly reminder that you should save your work often.

Tim

Feb 28, 2004, 12:27:04 PM2/28/04

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote in message
> In news:BD30c.1388$Zo6...@twister.socal.rr.com the killer robot "Cary
> Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> > I prefer to use AMD for Sonar and gave the Intel boxes to the wife and
> > kids. When Ted chimes in, he will tell you AMD has dependibility
> > problems and Intel is the only way to go.
>
> Amiga is the most stable platform...

Long live Workbench!

Tim

Feb 28, 2004, 12:27:36 PM2/28/04

> In news:c1qhc9$1ktmm1$1...@ID-183549.news.uni-berlin.de the killer robot
> "Tim" <argy...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship

> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> >> I am having trouble running Sonar on my Sinclair ZX81 though, should I
> >> upgrade to a Soundblaster Oddigy? ;)
> >>

> > Set your clock. 2004 is 23 years away.
>
> I don't know if it worked. Programming the clock was never my forte.

Obviously it was never mine either. ;-)

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 12:38:57 PM2/28/04
I'm with you on the Protools thing. I put a Protools system together to
remain compatible with everyone else, but in secret, I work in Sonar then
bounce to Protools and send off the files. No one knows the difference.

...and what's wrong with 2" tape? I have plenty of customers that still use
it. The format that has really taken a nose dive are the 1/2" 48 track DASH
machines. Look on ebay, you can buy one for $6k. The list price on those
things used to be $250K about 10 years ago. That being said, there are
plenty of people who prefer to still use tape over a HD. I guess they view
the storage medium as more dependable. The problem is, they have to keep on
maintaining the machines for the forseeable future, and its getting harder
and harder to find parts to fix those things.

CA

"Ill Soooo Youuu" <nevermind@db..owie.com> wrote in message

Tim

Feb 28, 2004, 12:49:48 PM2/28/04

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> Dr. T's KCS, as seen running in WinUAE on my WinXP box.
>
> http://home.swbell.net/glennbo2/DrTs.jpg

WOW! LOL That brings back memories.

Tim

Feb 28, 2004, 12:53:03 PM2/28/04

> In news:Xns949D768513B1EBr...@151.164.30.94 the killer
robot
> Glennbo <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> grabbed the controls of the

> spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> Hehe, got that one in the header though. <g>

LOL Nice.

Ill Soooo Youuu

Feb 28, 2004, 12:56:12 PM2/28/04
we have a studer A80 in the studio.. I love 2 inch .... at the time of my
original post I didn't realize this would turn out to be a my god is better
than your god or Chevy vs. ford in the AMD to Intel area..
but I think you all have helped since it is the consensus that AMD seems to
be a bit smoother with multi plugins.
as far as perlman goes.. he was a dick head back then and still must be a
dick head... take no offence Ted. I am tired of being cordial.

"Cary Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 1:00:03 PM2/28/04
I had a friend who used to work at Audio Techniques in NY, who used to put
together turnkey systems with the Amiga and Toaster. That was back in the
Amiga's heyday. The Amiga was a cool machine. Come to think of it, I was
still using my Atari back then also. I guess it was the Atari's built in
midi interface that made me choose that platform.

One thing, I've noticed is the Atari's midi timing was always much better
than the PC's, even by today's standards. I used to use Hybrid Arts
Smpte-track. I always stayed away from Cubase, and Notator because they
seemed to like to crash at the most critical times (they still do!). The
cool thing about the Atari was the OS was always in ROM. The HD was never
accessed unless you were saving or loading a file.

CA

> In news:a540c.1492$Zo6...@twister.socal.rr.com the killer robot "Cary

> Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>

> > Oh wow! You were an Amiga dood?
>

> Yep.

> > I was an Atari ST dood! Just goes
> > to show what they say about opinions!
>

> Well, the Video Toaster wouldn't fit into other computers, although Newtek
> did come out with a really lame "IBM PC" version, that included an entire
> Toaster equipped Amiga 2000, and a special cable so you could actually
> control the Toaster equipped Amiga from your PC screen. Wow!
>
> That was about as good as the current Tascam Q&A.
>
> Q. Can I use Gigastudio with my Apple computer?
> A. Yes, just buy a PC and a couple cables.
>
> See, Giga *is* a Mac compatible program. ;)
> http://www.tascamgiga.com/images/Mac-PC-V2.jpg

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 1:23:50 PM2/28/04
Yea, the shelf life for analog Ampex/Quantagey tape is about 2 years.
Emtec/BASF is a bit better. Here in CA, they last a bit longer though,
because of the dry climate. The digital tape has a much longer shelf life
though. Tapes recorded on the 1/2" digital 10-15 years ago, still play
great. Its maintaining the machines that's the problem. A set of heads for
a digital machine cost about $35k. That's far more than the machines are
worth these days. Also, the audio performance of a HD system is identical
to the digital machines (assuming they're 24 bit machines), and editing is
so much easier. This is why the format has become hugely unpopular.
Digital tape has reached the ceiling of its performance. The 24 bit DASH
machines run at 45ips! To increase the sampling frequency to 96kHz, would
require the machines to run at 90ips. That would be about one 5 minute song
per 10.5" reel!

From what my customers tell me, the record companies still want to have a
physical "master" of the project when its completed for their archives and
this is why they still use tape. Most of the projects originated on PT and
are bounced to digital tape machines prior to mixing. The majority of the
"pros" still prefer to mix on physical consoles as opposed to "mixing in the
box".

CA

> In news:Rm40c.1541$Zo6....@twister.socal.rr.com the killer robot "Cary

> Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>

> > That being said, there are
> > plenty of people who prefer to still use tape over a HD.
>

> I have rolls of 1" tape that are deterioating just sitting on the shelf.
> Last time I had the opportunity to mix something off from one, the oxide
> was sluffing off so bad we had to stop and clean the heads several times
> before getting the mix completed.

Ted Perlman

Feb 28, 2004, 1:27:44 PM2/28/04
<Scott Reams will be along soon to point you to some links>

Yeah, like:

www.myshitdon'twork.com

www.helpmebringdownthetemperature.com

www.ifuckedupandshouldhaveboughtap4.com

www.whycantigetmyworkdone.net

:-))

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Ted Perlman

Feb 28, 2004, 1:28:34 PM2/28/04
< When Ted chimes in....>

...with the truth.

TP

Ted Perlman

Feb 28, 2004, 1:32:44 PM2/28/04
<as far as perlman goes.. he was a dick head back then and still must be a
dick head>

Ah, but which one of us "dickheads" is afraid to use their real name?

Fuck being "cordial".

TP

Tim

Feb 28, 2004, 1:45:27 PM2/28/04

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> Dr T's actually runs perfectly in the emulator on XP, and uses my Delta
> AP2496 card for midi. I can even transfer stuff out of the virtual Amiga
> to the PC, just by saving it to a folder on the PC that appears as a
second
> HD to the Amiga emulator.

It seems like only yesterday that I was excited about my new GVP accelerator
card which boosted my Amiga 2000 from 7Mhz to 30 MHz (back when RAM was
$65/meg). Now, you can run the whole shebang through emulation.

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 1:48:15 PM2/28/04
No sweat. Its just whenever the question is asked the whole newsgroup is
filled up with posts, and things tend to get pretty nasty. AMD tends to
have better plug in performance which is important if you mix in the box.
Intel is known for its dependability. I really have no difficulties with my
AMD systems though. I use Intel for my linux server, and the thing has been
on 24/7 for about 2 years now. It never crashes, but I view that as a vote
for linux over windoze not Intel over AMD. I did have to replace the CPU
fan and power supply though.

Ted's a great guy, just a bit opinionated. He contributes some great ideas
to this newsgroup and I resepect his opinions.

The best approach is to check out the older posts and build a system that
others have had success with. There are some pitfalls in using both
platforms if you build your own. For instance, I bought a motherboard which
used an older nVidia chipset (built in video), which refused to cooperate
with my soundcard. This is why its important to see what others have used
and have had success with, or you'll waste money trying to put a working
system together. One common denominator which will yield a working system
is to go all Intel (motherboard and processor), which will pretty much
guarantee your success, but might not yield the performance of a properly
functioning AMD system.

CA

"Ill Soooo Youuu" <nevermind@db..owie.com> wrote in message

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 1:57:16 PM2/28/04

> ...with the truth.

I knew I could depend on a comment. How's it going Ted?

CA

Pat Farrell

Feb 28, 2004, 1:49:12 PM2/28/04
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:51:48 -0600, "Ill Soooo Youuu"
<stan_T...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I am going to build a new DAW next week and would like to know what you all
>think would work best AMD or INTEL p4 system.

Please do not feed the trolls.
http://www.pfarrell.com/prc/cafaq.html#trolls

Pat http://www.pfarrell.com/prc/

Devon

Feb 28, 2004, 2:05:05 PM2/28/04
Only Bill Gates can afford to keep up with the Mac environment. Each time
Apple updates their operating system, their users have to rebuy most of
their core programs: word processor, spreadsheet, etc....

> Screw both of them. Go MAC and Pro Tools.
>
> This is getting old.
>
> "Ill Soooo Youuu" <stan_T...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > I am going to build a new DAW next week and would like to know what you
> all
> > think would work best AMD or INTEL p4 system.

> > Thank you

Devon

Feb 28, 2004, 2:14:06 PM2/28/04
Okay. Okay. Either processor will work. In some cases the AMD runs faster
than the Intel and the same is true that some things run faster on the
Intel. The real problem you must consider is that any of these processors
burn hot and some cases on the market don't do a good enough job cooling the
system. Make sure you get a really good case that is built to keep the
system cool. Oddly enough, some of these cases and fan combos are quieter
than most of the cheaper cases with only 1 fan.

Finally the errors that you heard of with AMD from the early 90s have been
resolved. The chips are stable.

Devon

"Steve L." <s...@nospamsbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Ill Soooo Youuu" <nevermind@db..owie.com> wrote in

> > Hi Guys, Why is it so hard to get a straight answer out of anyone

> > here. I have been recording music professionally before most of you
> > were born. I worked in the Record Plant in NYC with majors in the
> > late 70s. And I am not holding that as something above you. Just a
> > simple fact. I have been out of that end of the Bizz for years and now
> > play and tour pro. . This is my first attempt at a real DAW for home.
> > Anyway, I am trying to get a plain answer and i get these childish
> > remarks like try playstation or some other real silly remarks..
> > Perhaps there is a more mature newsgroup that could help me..
> > Unfortuantely I have Sonar 3 and thought that this was the palce to
> > start looking. Thanks anyway,

> > "kitekrazy" <pyo...@mfire.com> wrote in message

> >> Maybe Playstation or X Box will come out with something.
> >> "MX West" <mi...@uniquephoto.com> wrote in message

> > you
> >> all

> Either will work.
> Did you look at the nifty case?

Ted Perlman

Feb 28, 2004, 2:14:12 PM2/28/04
<I knew I could depend on a comment. How's it going Ted>

Good. Hows about you? Anything new equipment-wise that has you all tingly?

TP

Ted Perlman

Feb 28, 2004, 2:16:36 PM2/28/04
<You forgot, fry an egg on my Athlon. ;)>

Nice! But sad, really. I shed a tear for all the misbeguided PC Windows
Athlon DAW users. Sob, sob, sob...

TP

Ted Perlman

Feb 28, 2004, 2:22:37 PM2/28/04
<...errors that you heard of with AMD from the early 90s have been

resolved. The chips are stable>

And other headlines you will never read:

"Pete Rose gets reinstated by baseball!!!!"

"Osama Bin Laden captured alive without a shot...gives interview to Dan
Rather"

"JFK Found Alive And Living In New Jersey!!!!"

"Elvis Releases New Record With Jay-Z!"

"Beyonce Marries Greg Hendershott!""

"Ted Buys AMD System - Then Commits Suicide After Machine Catches Fire
During Big Session!"

"Bush-Reagan Ticket Takes White House Easily for 2005-2008 term"

"Phil Cody Joins Republican Party"

"Rose O'Donnell Not Gay After All!!!"

"Kerry Divorces Heiress Wife"

...and so on and so on...

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 2:39:28 PM2/28/04
I just bought an Sony APR-5003V 1/4" machine on ebay. I still love the
sound of analog tape. I plan on converting it to a 1/2" machine. I have
the heads and rollers somewhere in my garage. It was a bargain. The guy
thought there was something wrong with it, so I got it really cheap. It
turns out (and I knew this before bidding by the description of the problem)
that it was just an internal setting and the machine actually looks and
works perfectly.

I also just rebuilt my old Ampeg Reverb-o-Rocket which has been sitting in
my garage for about 10 years. That thing sounds sweet for guitar. I can't
seem to find the right reverb tank for it though. With the way it sounds, I
don't need no stinkin' spring reverb anyway.

Oh yea, and I'm having a blast with my new accordion! Trying to get the ol'
chops back, but I can't seem to get used to the little keys on it. ...and
my left hand has lost all reference to those buttons. ..but I'm practicing.
Its only been 35 years, since I've picked one up to play.

CA

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 2:48:32 PM2/28/04
Wow, what was that an 8 track 440? I have a 1" 16 track Sony machine
sitting in my garage, which I'm planning to sell soon. My garage is filled
with old relics from the past. My son can't even have band practice in
there because of the amout of old crap I have in there.

Believe it or not, I run into quite a few Ampex machines which are still
being used. They actually have 2 or 3 of them at Ocean Way. Some people
swear by the sound of those machines. They are a pain to maintain though.
I remember the tape speed on the 440 would vary from the begining and end of
the reels. The newer (and its all relative) ones seemed to fix that
problem.

CA

> In news:W050c.1548$Zo6...@twister.socal.rr.com the killer robot "Cary

> Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>

> > From what my customers tell me, the record companies still want to
> > have a physical "master" of the project when its completed for their
> > archives and this is why they still use tape. Most of the projects
> > originated on PT and are bounced to digital tape machines prior to
> > mixing. The majority of the "pros" still prefer to mix on physical
> > consoles as opposed to "mixing in the box".
>

> I think someone needs to make a hardware reel-to-reel device that simply
> rolls tape when you hit play or record on your DAW, and re-winds in sync
> when you re-wind. Just to make it *look* more impressive. <g>
>
> I'm so glad I sold this Ampex boat anchor back in the early 80s. ;)
> http://home.swbell.net/glennbo2/Ampex.jpg

Scott Reams

Feb 28, 2004, 3:55:35 PM2/28/04
Funny... when the just-released Intel Prescott CPUs (newest P4) is the
hottest consumer CPU ever released... by far. You're going to have to come
up with a new one if you want to stick with Intel.

-S

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Ted Perlman

Feb 28, 2004, 4:09:52 PM2/28/04
<the just-released Intel Prescott CPUs (newest P4) is the hottest consumer
CPU ever released>

You mean everybody wants one?

You're obviously not familiar with industry jargon, are you? :-))

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Scott Reams

Feb 28, 2004, 4:18:59 PM2/28/04
> You mean everybody wants one?

Quite the opposite at this point... considering it also is in many cases
slower than current Northwood P4s at the same clockspeed.

-S

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 11:18:33 PM2/28/04
"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote in message

>I think someone needs to make a hardware reel-to-reel device that simply
> rolls tape when you hit play or record on your DAW, and re-winds in sync
> when you re-wind. Just to make it *look* more impressive. <g>

Or at least have a giant graphic of two turning reels when you hit play and
record. Come to think of it there was once an Atari sequencing program that
did that.

CA

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> In news:W050c.1548$Zo6...@twister.socal.rr.com the killer robot "Cary

> Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>

> > From what my customers tell me, the record companies still want to
> > have a physical "master" of the project when its completed for their
> > archives and this is why they still use tape. Most of the projects
> > originated on PT and are bounced to digital tape machines prior to
> > mixing. The majority of the "pros" still prefer to mix on physical
> > consoles as opposed to "mixing in the box".
>

> I think someone needs to make a hardware reel-to-reel device that simply
> rolls tape when you hit play or record on your DAW, and re-winds in sync
> when you re-wind. Just to make it *look* more impressive. <g>
>
> I'm so glad I sold this Ampex boat anchor back in the early 80s. ;)
> http://home.swbell.net/glennbo2/Ampex.jpg

Cary Altschuler

Feb 28, 2004, 11:27:51 PM2/28/04

> Still I don't miss the costs it took to run it, and constant cleaing and
> tweaking it required.

That's where we differ. I love to tweak tape machines. I don't miss the
dirty pots though. All mine have tweaker-less jog-shuttle wheel based
alignments, and I don't have to break my back or get water on the knees from
aligning them. They don't sound as good as those old Ampex though. Tape
prices are also ridiculous for 1" and 2", especially because it deteriorates
before you can reuse it.

CA

"Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote in message

> In news:kg60c.1556$Zo6....@twister.socal.rr.com the killer robot "Cary

> Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>

> > Wow, what was that an 8 track 440?
>

> Spot on! It was an AG440B to be exact.

> > I have a 1" 16 track Sony machine
> > sitting in my garage, which I'm planning to sell soon. My garage is
> > filled with old relics from the past. My son can't even have band
> > practice in there because of the amout of old crap I have in there.
>

> All I have left is a bunch of old 1" reels.

> > Believe it or not, I run into quite a few Ampex machines which are
> > still being used. They actually have 2 or 3 of them at Ocean Way.
> > Some people swear by the sound of those machines. They are a pain to
> > maintain though. I remember the tape speed on the 440 would vary from
> > the begining and end of the reels. The newer (and its all relative)
> > ones seemed to fix that problem.
>

> It was a great machine, and did have a really BIG chunky sound to it.
> Still I don't miss the costs it took to run it, and constant cleaing and
> tweaking it required. I lucked out and sold it a couple years before PC
> based DAW software started becoming available, while it still had some
> value.

tbisson

Feb 29, 2004, 3:42:45 AM2/29/04
Just sold my A4000 tower/toaster :( Bars and Pipes rooled :)

Tim wrote:
> "Glennbo" <vdrumsYourHe...@swbell.net> wrote in message

>>In news:BD30c.1388$Zo6...@twister.socal.rr.com the killer robot "Cary

>>Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
>>cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>>

>>>I prefer to use AMD for Sonar and gave the Intel boxes to the wife and
>>>kids. When Ted chimes in, he will tell you AMD has dependibility
>>>problems and Intel is the only way to go.
>>
>>Amiga is the most stable platform...
>>

> Long live Workbench!

Steve Karl

Feb 29, 2004, 5:58:18 AM2/29/04
LOL

Steve Karl

Feb 29, 2004, 5:59:24 AM2/29/04
Score! <g>

kitekrazy

Feb 29, 2004, 3:27:25 PM2/29/04
Aren't we about due for another one of those Sonar vs. Cubase threads?
"Devon" <bold...@4dv.net> wrote in message

Ricky W. Hunt

Feb 29, 2004, 4:26:02 PM2/29/04

> > You mean everybody wants one?
>
> Quite the opposite at this point... considering it also is in many cases
> slower than current Northwood P4s at the same clockspeed.

Sadly, facts don't seem matter. Just who can scream the most loudest and
obnoxiously.

Ricky W. Hunt

Feb 29, 2004, 4:28:03 PM2/29/04
"Cary Altschuler" <lad...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Ill Soooo Youuu" <nevermind@db..owie.com> wrote in message
>
> >i am just trying to get a straight answer from some of the platinum
record
> > weenies in here.. jees.. they all have a sonar setup in there basements
> and
> > suddenly they think they are bob clearmountian... even bob is more
humble
> > than these over inflated producer wanna bees..

Sometimes you find "the smaller the 'star' the bigger the ego".

Ricky W. Hunt

Feb 29, 2004, 4:32:32 PM2/29/04
> In news:c1qkb7$1m5cgg$1...@ID-183549.news.uni-berlin.de the killer robot
> "Tim" <argy...@hotmail.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship

> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
> >> Dr. T's KCS, as seen running in WinUAE on my WinXP box.
>
> >> http://home.swbell.net/glennbo2/DrTs.jpg
>
> > WOW! LOL That brings back memories.

> Dr T's actually runs perfectly in the emulator on XP, and uses my Delta
> AP2496 card for midi. I can even transfer stuff out of the virtual Amiga
> to the PC, just by saving it to a folder on the PC that appears as a
second
> HD to the Amiga emulator.

I absolutely LOVED my Atari ST (though I kind of wish I'd went with the
Amiga). But I also tend to suffer from "euphoric memory" (remembering things
as better than they where). I downloaded an ST emulator for Windows just to
"prove" to myself how ahead of the times it was. And it really was ahead of
it's time, but we've far surpassed it now.

MX West

Feb 29, 2004, 5:16:41 PM2/29/04
"RIGHT ON," Cary. At least _we_ don't have to name-drop around here. Although I
don't think Our Man cares so much about credibility so much as Making a Big
Impression.

Cary Altschuler wrote:
> Your attitude sucks. It seems with you, credibility is very important.

>>suddenly they think they are bob clearmountian... even bob is more humble
>>than these over inflated producer wanna bees..

>> what are you doing lurking around in here... ever hear from shelly...

MX West

Feb 29, 2004, 5:19:14 PM2/29/04
Hey, I'm from Joisey! I'll have to check it out...

> "JFK Found Alive And Living In New Jersey!!!!"

Ted Perlman

Mar 1, 2004, 12:40:22 AM3/1/04
< I stay with Athlon because I don't like even the idea of math errors>

I use and advocate Intel because I don't like the idea of "downtime".

--

Regards,

Ted Perlman

Your Ruler

Mar 1, 2004, 12:57:59 AM3/1/04
I heard you go down all the time Ted. Maybe san Francisco is your type of
town.

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Ted Perlman

Mar 1, 2004, 1:17:55 AM3/1/04
<I heard you go down all the time Ted. Maybe san Francisco is your type of
town>

Insults from a guy named "Your Ruler" are worthless and insignificant.

TP

Ricky W. Hunt

Mar 1, 2004, 1:41:19 AM3/1/04
"Organfreak" <plon...@plunk.plink> wrote in message

> So what's all the fuss about here?

That's just it. The fuss is HERE. The AMD or Intels are both fine, from what
I HEAR.

Your Ruler

Mar 1, 2004, 9:18:38 AM3/1/04
TP ? Toilet Paper,I mean Ted Squirelman. You are a complete jerk off.You
change your mind like a woman, so you never refute the claim.
So what master pieces are you working on now TP. Since all pro studios are
not hip to Sonar yet. I dont here you chating about Pro-tools.
I guess you are just trying to throw your fat ass name around,and trying to
impress the rest of us semi pro music houses for all that is worth. Go get
us some coffee tape op boy.
You little insignificant turd polisher.

"Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

kitekrazy

Mar 1, 2004, 11:41:55 AM3/1/04
Are you using the factory heat sink and fan that came with the processor?

"Organfreak" <plon...@plunk.plink> wrote in message

> So what's all the fuss about here?
>
> I bought an Athlon 2500+, built a system with three fans, turned it
> on, and it just works-- pretty quiet too, and runs cool. No problems
> at all.
>
> Both brands are good if the system is good. I stay with Athlon because
> I don't like even the idea of math errors.
>
> -OF

Ricky W. Hunt

Mar 1, 2004, 3:31:18 PM3/1/04

> On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 05:40:22 GMT, "Ted Perlman" <ted...@pacbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> >< I stay with Athlon because I don't like even the idea of math errors>
> >
> >I use and advocate Intel because I don't like the idea of "downtime".
>
> Downtime? What is that? <G>

Time spent reading this NG. <G>