Pearlman Upgrade 300a to 533a = 800

Dale Pfeiffer

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00

Well I got my hands on a new Celeron II 533a. Upgraded the bios on my Abit
BH6 to the latest version. Installed the new Celeron II 533a into an Iwill
Slocket II and put it into the slot 1. Went to the soft menu and set it to
100 FSB at an 8x multiplier and rebooted. The bios reports the cpu as an
800 PIII. I will stress test over the next few days and see what happens.
This was an untested OEM Celeron II 533a at 66 FSB, total cost under $200
for the CPU, Slocket adapter, heat sink and large OEM fan, my bios is
reporting 87 degrees F about the same as my 300a. This seems like the new
bang for the buck upgrade for those of us who want to get a few more months
out of our old machines.

Dale

Garry Simmons

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00

"Dale Pfeiffer" <Lixi...@home.com> wrote in message

This is the exact same upgrade I'm looking to do...

Suggestions on where to find the 533 Celeron IIs? Are the 566s out yet?

Garry

Dale Pfeiffer

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00

Garry Simmons <ga...@simmonsinteractive.com> wrote in message

.

> This is the exact same upgrade I'm looking to do...
>
> Suggestions on where to find the 533 Celeron IIs? Are the 566s out yet?
>
> Garry

www.pcnut.com He has both 533 and 566, because these are not pretested I
went with the 533 >800 rather than the 566 >850, I thought I would have a
better shot at 800. That being said, I did run it at 840 for about an hour
tonight with no problems (105 x 100 @ 1.70 volts ) <G> Ted would be proud,
flame suit on <g>.

Dale

Eric Peterson

May 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/1/00
Actually, PC-Nut stopped selling the 566@850 OC combo because they couldn't
put their name behind something so flaky. I know this because he cancelled
my order. Good luck!

W.S.Walker

May 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/2/00
Wow, those seem like great results. What ver. is your BH-6? Mine is real
early,
(V1.02) and I e-mailed ABIT to ask if/how to upgrade the BIOS and what
processors it would take, but so far no response.
Thanks, and good look with your stress tests.
-Bill