System Questions

David Krajewski

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
After 2 years with my 1st system it's time to get a new one and I wanted
to get everyone's input.
Socket7 (AMD K-6) or Slot One (P II)?
Does the P II only have 512KB Cache? Is 1MB Cache going to make a
difference?
I have seen different RAM specs; 100 MHz SyncDram and PC 100 SDRAM
What chipset do I want?
Are PCI slots becoming more popular than ISA?
Basically I want something that can handle a lot of tracks and effects.
But I also want something I can upgrade over time.
I would be interested in knowing how many tracks you have gotten at one
time
with and without effects
And lastly, where should I go to get my system?
Thanks in advance
Dave

pete leoni

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Read the article "roll your own" @ prorec.com

David Krajewski <gui...@megahits.com> wrote in article
<3657910A...@megahits.com>...

pete leoni

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
The fact is Jim Roseberry is building and recommending the nearly the same
system that I specified in the "Roll your Own" article in ProRec.com,
including the advanced Celeron A chip overclocked to 450, and has sold at
least 10. Whether a person can configure the system itself is a factor of
the persons own talent and has about 3 hrs to spare. I would think that
even you Ted could assemble this simple project, using the time you waste
pulling my chain here on this N.G.

Ted Perlman <ted...@pacbell.net> wrote in article
<737g6t$9...@hope.harvard.net>...

<And lastly, where should I go to get my system?>

One question:

Do you have an abundance of time to waste configuring your own system?

If the answer is "no", then have someone like Jim Roseberry (StudioCat.com)
build it for you. The difference in price is nowhere near the amount of
hours you will lose from your life expectancy. DO NOT believe Pete or his
propaganda articles.

Ted Perlman

----------

Mitch Brink

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Ted Perlman wrote:
<And lastly, where should I go to get my system?> One question: Do you have an abundance of time to waste configuring your own system? If the answer is "no", then have someone like Jim Roseberry (StudioCat.com) build it for you. The difference in price is nowhere near the amount of hours you will lose from your life expectancy. DO NOT believe Pete or his propaganda articles.

Actually, I have very little experience with building PC's.  My experience involves swapping CD-ROM drives, plugging in cards, etc.

I started opening boxes at 8pm last Thursday night, and had the system running by midnight.  But that includes 30-40 minutes of waiting for hardrives to format, waiting for apps to install, etc.  The next morning, I popped in my Gina and MQX, moved the whole machine into my studio, and everything worked.
I still have yet to crash or lockup.

Anyway, my only point for this post is that people shouldn't be afraid to build their own.  If you do your homework and respect the advice of people who have done it,  it's easy and you save a TON of money.

Plus it's a good feeling when you push the power switch and there's no smoke, and something actually comes up on the screen.  :-)

On a humorous sidenote:  I told someone in my band that I built a new computer this week, and he said "You mean you made all the little chips and everything?"

Uh....yeah.  I made all the little chips.

Mitch Brink,  Composer/ Sound Designer
E-mail:   mit...@ix.netcom.com
WWW:      http://www.geocities.com/~mitchb2/

David Krajewski

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98

I don't have a problem building my own. I just switched the motherboard in this system. I think the only thing I haven't changed in this system in 2 years is the floppy drive. So what do I get and where do I get it?
Dave

Scott Vita

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98

>I would think that even you Ted could assemble this simple project, using
the time you waste
> pulling my chain here on this N.G.

C'mon Ted. Go for it. You know you secretly lust for celery. <G>

There is such a thing as too good to be true, and such a thing as too good
to be ignored.

Scott Vita

Ted Perlman

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
<Jim Roseberry is building and recommending the nearly the same system that
I specified in the "Roll your Own" article in ProRec.com, including the
advanced Celeron A chip overclocked to 450, and has sold at least 10>

Does Jim know you're using him as an endorsee for your "cheaper by the
dozen, do it yourself" campaign?

Ted Perlman

pete leoni

Nov 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/22/98
Ask Jim yourself. When people E-mail me and tell me they don't want to
tackle it, I usually refer them to Jim. Jim's been at this stuff longer
than I and I'm sure if he's using these components it's because he feels
good about them himself, and his confidence is not based upon my or any
other persons sole endorsement, but a collation of data. Quit instigating
Ted, It's unbecoming of you.

pete