training on a large number of concepts

Nikiforos Pittaras

Apr 14, 2015, 8:57:07 AM4/14/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
I want to run a network on the 1K imagenet concepts + a few more thousand concepts.

Anyone have an tips/material on the training strategy? Should I train all concepts alltogether or train a few sets at a time and "fine-tune" the network on additional concepts later?

Thanks.

npit

May 6, 2015, 10:21:50 AM5/6/15
to caffe...@googlegroups.com
I have attempted training a few times.
I have 4K classes, with ~ 4 million training images, ~ 200K validation images.
I have set test batch size and test_ter s.t. batchSize x test_iter = number of validation images.

I have used various batch sizes and learning rates.
Every time, after a few thousand iterations the test accuracy gets stuck at a value close to 0.1 %.
The training loss fluctuates around random guess levels, i.e. around 8.2