Memory exploded when group parameter is assigned

Qian Yang

Oct 17, 2017, 9:10:01 AM10/17/17
to Caffe Users
Hi,

if I set group=num_output in layer conv5_3 in VGG16, the memory keeps increasing and explodes finally when I fine tune the model. Otherwise, everything is normal.

So I am sure it is the convolution_param "group" that caused the memory overload. Could anyone give me some advice?

layer {
  name
: "conv5_3"
  type
: "Convolution"
  bottom
: "conv5_2"
  top
: "conv5_3"
  param
{
    lr_mult
: 1.0
    decay_mult
: 1.0

}
  param
{
    lr_mult
: 2.0
    decay_mult
: 0

}
  convolution_param
{
    num_output
: 512
    pad
: 0

group: 512
    kernel_size
: 1
    weight_filler
{
      type
: "xavier"

}
    bias_filler
{
      type
: "constant"

}

}
}

Thanks.

Przemek D

Oct 19, 2017, 3:45:42 AM10/19/17
to Caffe Users
What does it mean that "memory keeps increasing and finally explodes"? Consider attaching relevant logs to help us understand the problem.

Qian Yang

Oct 19, 2017, 10:19:32 PM10/19/17
to Caffe Users
Through the system monitor tool in ubuntu, I found the memory occupancy rate kept increasing and finally reached up to  almost 100% since the training process began. And then the training process is killed. Sorry for no relevant logs.

在 2017年10月19日星期四 UTC+8下午3:45:42,Przemek D写道: