The kernel appears to have died. It will restart automatically - Running the learning lenet example

Sandesh Yapuram

Mar 15, 2016, 9:08:00 AM3/15/16
to Caffe Users
I'm trying to execute the caffe example script from here

Everything seems to be fine as I've installed caffe just few minutes back ..... But this message pops up when I run line 7

"The kernel appears to have died. It will restart automatically."

This is the code:
caffe.set_device(0)
caffe
.set_mode_gpu()

### load the solver and create train and test nets
solver
= None  # ignore this workaround for lmdb data (can't instantiate two solvers on the same data)
solver
= caffe.SGDSolver('mnist/lenet_auto_solver.prototxt')

I'm running and have compiled caffe on CPU_ONLY=1 .... so
I feel the set_mode_gpu() is creating a problem/...
What modifications should I make?

Sandesh Yapuram

Mar 15, 2016, 10:58:09 AM3/15/16
to Caffe Users
Solved!

caffe.set_device(0)
caffe
.set_mode_gpu()

### load the solver and create train and test nets
solver
= None  # ignore this workaround for lmdb data (can't instantiate two solvers on the same data)
solver
= caffe.SGDSolver('mnist/lenet_auto_solver.prototxt')

Changed the red portion to

caffe.set_mode_cpu()
Message has been deleted

Blanca Alonso

May 31, 2016, 5:51:41 AM5/31/16
to Caffe Users
Hi Sandesh,

Sorry, this is not a solution. You changed from running it in the GPU to the CPU.

I am facing same problem just with the following line when trying to set it up to run in the GPU:

caffe.set_device(0)

The kernel dies, anyone with similar problem / solution?

Thank you

Sandesh Yapuram

May 31, 2016, 6:08:36 AM5/31/16
to Blanca Alonso, Caffe Users
Hello Blanca,

Yes I agree with you. I had gotten that same issue in my other machine too.
But this time I ran the code in jupyter-qtconsole and normal jupyter command line. So the error message and its details were displayed right away on the console itself. I suggest you to run the code on console first to identify the error. Because the browser notebook exits without error statement and details.

Regards