Removing V Berth Ceiling

TTSC

Oct 19, 2017, 2:13:29 PM10/19/17
to caborico
I need to remove some sections of the ceiling in order to get to the stanchion bolts. The strips of teak feel pretty solid, even after removing screws on one planks section. Are these tongue and groove or just screwed innedtbt each other? Any help to achieve non-destructive deconstruction would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone done this?

Leslie Owen

Oct 19, 2017, 3:23:53 PM10/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Mickey has done this I believe. He had pictures posted showing removal of interior. He is a great resource here. Very clever and hands on.

Good luck.

Leslie

s/v Tango, CR 34

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 19, 2017, at 2:13 PM, TTSC <da...@tallshipsailing.com> wrote:
>
> I need to remove some sections of the ceiling in order to get to the stanchion bolts. The strips of teak feel pretty solid, even after removing screws on one planks section. Are these tongue and groove or just screwed innedtbt each other? Any help to achieve non-destructive deconstruction would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone done this?

Dave McGinnis

Oct 19, 2017, 3:45:03 PM10/19/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! So far I've discovered the ceiling is bedded in caulk in addition to being screwed😖.
--
Regards,

Dave McGinnis
Manager and Senior Captain
Traverse Tall Ship Company, LLC

Looking for a terrific vacation rental? Check out "Schooner House"!

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!

While in Traverse City, check out Traverse City Tours for wine tasting tours and much more! Top notch service at reasonable prices.  Go to:  http://www.traversecitytours.com/

Alex Tarlecky

Nov 14, 2017, 12:04:19 PM11/14/17
to caborico
Yes. You can use a fein tool with a blade like this. You have to be very careful you don't cut through the wood but this tool cuts through everything like butter. You can then go back and use it to clean up the excess caulk.

Dave McGinnis

Nov 14, 2017, 1:24:11 PM11/14/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex!