Stack pack

Simon Kirby

Mar 28, 2015, 9:40:49 AM3/28/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone I'm having my canvas restitched and serviced I asked about having a stack pack made ,they told me it was cheaper purchased on the internet has anyone ordered or purchased one from a internet site. cheers simon s/v reverie #17

Rich DiMinno

Mar 28, 2015, 11:15:46 AM3/28/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon
We purchased our stack pack from Bacon Sails .
It was well made at a reasonable price.
We had one pulley fail on the lazy jacks and they responded by sending us 6 new Ronston pulleys.
I used one to rig a remote pull for the zipper on the stack pack. Works great.

Dave McGinnis

Mar 28, 2015, 2:10:39 PM3/28/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Just a thought, but I'm a big fan of my Dutchman system. I like not having the windage at the foot, and it's that much less UV time for the sail cover when the main is in use.

Dave McGinnis
Scout CR  38 XL #130

Regards,

Dave McGinnis
Manager and Senior Captain
Traverse Tall Ship Company, LLC

Looking for a terrific vacation rental? Check out "Schooner House"!

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!

While in Traverse City, check out Traverse City Tours for wine tasting tours and much more! Top notch service at reasonable prices.  Go to:  http://www.traversecitytours.com/

Rich DiMinno

Mar 28, 2015, 7:11:35 PM3/28/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
The reason we opted for the stack pack was between the hight of the boom off the deck and the  Bimini obstructing the the end of the boom it was a major hassle taking off and putting  on the sail cover.

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Leslie Owen

May 5, 2015, 10:26:53 PM5/5/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I stitched my own stack pack.  Since I made it, I could control just how high it sat on the boom.  Plus since we have a loose footed mainsail, it was easy to make and so easy to use.

The height of the cover is determined by how high the sail cars stack up in our strong track.  The stack pack for us is on sail slugs in the boom with the top edge attaching to our lazy jacks.  My one suggestion is that if you try to make one (which is not very hard), do make the top gusset where the zipper goes narrow.  If it is wide, it tends to channel water into the sail and you will find a shower awaiting you each time your raise sail.  I had that issue in my first fitted cover but with taking it in so the channel that held the zipper was only about three inches, we no longer get a wet sail.

I have a block at each end of the cover with a long line attached to the zipper pull.  I can stand at the mast and zip it open and closed with ease.  I did not want to drill into my mast so I have web loops that have a bungee cable that holds the cover forward to the fittings that are on the mast.  Being bungee ties, they are forgiving at any point of sail. My cover is certainly not perfect but is totally functional and easy to use.

Hope you have found a solution.  You are correct that with the length of the boom on the CR, if your canvas covers the cockpit, it is a challenge to get to the end to attach the traditional removable canvas covers.

Best regards,

Leslie

s/v Tango, CR 34
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD
sn_photo-100.jpg

Clay

May 7, 2015, 5:01:33 AM5/7/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
One of the criterias I asked of Leslie before she designed and built our stack pack for 'Tango'  was a reduced profile..as most commercially made stack packs have a profile alone in my opinion have way to much frontal area...

Clay
s/v Tango
Chester River, Md.

Stephen Brady

May 10, 2015, 8:06:57 AM5/10/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Anyone want to sell their old, usable Mainsale cover and\or Staysail cover? Do not care what color.
Launch S\V New Wind Fri...minor issue with haveing to pull the Raw Water Strainer and rebuild it with new gaskets, but she's floating and after a 7 hr run up the Chesapeake bay, she's in here slip in Havre de Grace. Sail covers and Battens missing and all the Halyards will be replaced before the sails are bent on.

Stephen
S\V New Wind
'83 Cabo Rico 38