Cabo Rico 38 w/ double aft sleeper?

Danzanti

Apr 1, 2017, 1:31:27 PM4/1/17
to caborico
Hello,
I'm new to this group and this is my first post.  We have sold our Beneteau 285 which we sailed out of Seward Alaska for the past 25 years and are preparing to retire to warmers climes during the winter months.  I have long admired the classic lines of the Cabo Rico 38 and will begin the process of shopping/buying this fall.
My question regards the sleeping configuration of the CR38.  I'm familiar with the Plan A and Plan B forward birth but all of the CR38 I've viewed online have a single aft quarter birth.  This would not be problematic when wife wife and I are the only occupants on board, but occasionally we will be hosting other couples for short durations (5-7 days).
Question:  Is there a CR38 model with a double aft sleeping area?  If not is it possible to sleep two in the aft quarter birth?
I've read that when they moved the engine forward from under the companionway steps to the undercounted area in the galley more space was created aft.  Did that change allow for a large aft cabin? When did that model change occur?
Reading through the posts I can see that this is a courteous and helpful online community.  I look forward to future dialog.
Thanks,
Danzanti
(aka Fred from Alaska)

N C

Apr 1, 2017, 2:22:07 PM4/1/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the group. The XL model has an aft cabin which will sleep 2 a little more comfortably than the previous layouts. The engine is forward of the companionway under the galley sink. There's another site that one of the members has which may have pictures of the XL layout while it was being built. For the moment it escapes me though, which is bad since it's my boat!

Cheers,
Nick

Dave McGinnis

Apr 1, 2017, 2:34:47 PM4/1/17
to Caborico
Welcome to the group! Our boat is hull #130 Cabo Rico 38 XL, and it has the double aft cabin. The bunk can easily accommodate to adults, but as you will see from the attached photo, the cockpit encroaches on headroom for a section of the bunk. This is the version with the engine under the sink.

Regards,

Dave McGinnis
CR 38 XL Scout

Regards,

Dave McGinnis
Manager and Senior Captain
Traverse Tall Ship Company, LLC

Looking for a terrific vacation rental? Check out "Schooner House"!

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!

While in Traverse City, check out Traverse City Tours for wine tasting tours and much more! Top notch service at reasonable prices.  Go to:  http://www.traversecitytours.com/

BX6A0193.jpg

Dave McGinnis

Apr 1, 2017, 2:35:33 PM4/1/17
to Caborico
Here is a second photo showing the aft cabin in relation to the surrounding space.

On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Danzanti <mhlanc...@gmail.com> wrote:

BX6A0196.jpg

N C

Apr 1, 2017, 2:41:36 PM4/1/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Fred (from Alaska),

I remembered the website,  croa.us website, it may have some more info.

Nick

Danzanti

Apr 1, 2017, 7:42:31 PM4/1/17
to caborico
Thanks Nick,
The website is helpful.  I seems they CR38 XL model happened around1988.

cab...@aol.com

Apr 3, 2017, 12:22:50 PM4/3/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com, cr3...@msn.com

You can fit two in the small quarter berth as long as you are young and don't have to hit the head at night. I am redoing the salon starboard side berth to inlarge the berth when pulled out. That will become my main berth.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

LDCB...@aol.com

Apr 3, 2017, 1:49:49 PM4/3/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
When we had new cushions made we made this settee bigger/deeper by 6 inches. Great for one person. Do not put in covered buttons. Always hit right on the hip.

Larry