Re: [caborico] Stuffing Box Packing Size?

Cab...@aol.com

Sep 13, 2013, 11:16:28 PM9/13/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
It was small I think 1/8 inch???

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 9/13/2013 11:55:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, aci...@gmail.com writes:
I still have some. Will check tonight or tomorrow

Ron Acierno
Director, PTSD Clinical Team RHJ VAMC Charleston SC

Professor, Psychiatry
Medical University South Carolina

Clinical and Technical Advisor, Boardmember
Veterans on Deck 501c3

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 13, 2013, at 10:50 AM, SM <satire...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello-
> Would anyone be able to tell me what size shaft packing we'll need for the standard CR38 stuffing box?
>
> Many Thanks!
> Steve

GARBOARD

Sep 14, 2013, 5:24:05 PM9/14/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have mine apart riight now from 38 #150 and am re-doing all of the shaft hardware, stuffing box and hose etc.   The shaft O.D is 1,250" and the I,D of the factory "Knobby" stuffing box is 1.750" which leaves a void of 1/2" to fill.  The correct size packing is 1/4" in my case. A quarter inch on each side of the shaft.
Best,
Brian

SM

Sep 14, 2013, 9:35:56 PM9/14/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
thanks Brian.

Stephen Brady

Apr 20, 2015, 12:16:46 PM4/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Just went through this process this Sun on my #67 1983. When originally unscrewed and removed the packing, I found 7 pieces of 1/8". Thinking this was not correct, I went and purchased 3/16" which I though I read somewhere on this board. Well putting in the Teflon Flax in on Sun, I had a real hard time getting the Nut to start back on after putting in the 1st out of three pieces, which is the norm. I put 1 piece in, then run the nut up on to seat it in, then unscrew to put in the second in. The second one would not go in, even with pushing in with a small screw drive. I took it all out, and found 2 more pieces of 1/8' in their. Once I finelly got them out, I was able to put three pieces of 3/16". One step closer to launch.......

Stephen
S/V New Wind
1982 Cabo Rico 38

Tom Fuhs

Apr 20, 2015, 1:31:38 PM4/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Previous Owners!  I'm not sure which is worse, the work that the previous owner has done or the work done by the (cheapest) yard that the previous owner had done.  The "only" reason I would ever consider a new boat is to simply avoid the dreaded "P.O."

LDCB...@aol.com

Apr 20, 2015, 1:34:46 PM4/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Well then you have the dreaded warrenty fight with the manufacturer which I have seen a number of friends go through.
Larry
Venteux

Clay

Apr 20, 2015, 1:49:52 PM4/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
..or buy a new boat that the manufacturer decides to go Chapter 11..

Tom Fuhs

Apr 20, 2015, 3:11:50 PM4/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
You guys are absolutely correct on those points and I'm sure there are others.  I should have worded that better.  We'd never actually buy a new boat.  Lot's of reasons why, not the least of which (for us) is there is no way we'd afford the boat we'd want.  But there would be the benefit of no hidden skeletons courtesy of the PO.

Larry Barker

Apr 20, 2015, 4:14:50 PM4/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Venteux has had 3 owners. The 2 prior to Darlene and I were engineers. Need I say more.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Tom Fuhs

Apr 20, 2015, 5:29:28 PM4/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ahhh!  There's my problem.  I'm an engineer, and my previous owners were decidedly not. ;)

Brian Gortney

Apr 21, 2015, 10:19:33 AM4/21/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Tom:
The way I learned to figure packing size for a stuffing box is to measure the Inside Diameter ( I.D ) of the stuffing box gland nut and measure the Outside Diameter (O.D.)of the shaft and then subtract the two and divide that number by two (  I/2 the difference equal the packing size needed on each side to take up the space)   Works for me and it makes sense.  On my C/R 138 # 150 with the original "Knobby" nutted stuffing box the packing I use is 1/4" .   They may have used a different stuffing box on other boats ?
Best Regards,
Brian
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.