Sail track fastenings

Nico Walsh

Oct 11, 2016, 4:10:40 PM10/11/16
to caborico
The sail track on the varnished caprail - is it fastened with big wood screws?  Or is the track through bolted?

Tom Fuhs

Oct 11, 2016, 4:28:09 PM10/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
It's through bolted.  At least it is on Eclipse (hull # 115).  Although the published specs I've seen for the Cabo Rico's construction state that the hull to deck joint is through bolted every 6 inches, I've not found that to be the case.  The jib sheet tracks are through bolted through the deck to hull joint, and this seems to be the only part of the joint which is in fact through bolted.  The rest of the joint seems to be screwed together with self tappers or wood screws.  I plan to add more through bolts at some point.  I don't think it will be all that difficult relative to some of the other tasks on this boat.  It will result in a few more teak bungs on the cap-rail, but I can live with that.  A strong and leak-free deck to hull joint is a wonderful thing.  The corollary being that a leaky deck to hull joint is pure hell.

-Tom

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Nico Walsh <nwa...@gwi.net> wrote:
The sail track on the varnished caprail - is it fastened with big wood screws?  Or is the track through bolted?

curtis hoffman

Oct 11, 2016, 4:38:40 PM10/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Any time toerail screws are removed fill the hole with RTV so it will be water tight when the screws are replaced .

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to caborico+u...@googlegroups.com.

Nico Walsh

Oct 11, 2016, 4:41:03 PM10/11/16
to caborico
What's RTV?

Linda Mote

Oct 11, 2016, 5:48:47 PM10/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom - you mention 'published specs' I have not been too successful in finding specs for my 1980 38' (hull 34). Would you be able to share what you have found? All I have found so far is sail dimensions
This site is great! It's helpful to read about everyone's experiences - many of which I have used as guidelines in restoring my CR

Thank you
Linda
Doneva 1980
Toronto

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Mickey Panayiotakis

Oct 11, 2016, 5:56:48 PM10/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Linda Mote

Oct 11, 2016, 6:12:50 PM10/11/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thank You!!

Stephen Brady

Oct 12, 2016, 9:47:26 AM10/12/16
to caborico
On New Wind CR 38 #67 I found the Aft three has 1/4" x 1" self tapping screws, next has a 1/4 x 20 Machine screws tapped into an aluminum backing which goes all the way forward and is held in place by the Hull to Deck bolts.

Now the caveat is that after the aft 3 track screws, the machine screws and installed into every other slot. Meaning machine screw, self tapping (Wood) screw, machine screw, wood screw.

I pulled both tracks and did Cap-rail repairs, and Tapped 5/16" bolts in the backing. The aft three I used nuts and washers to thru-bolt.

curtis hoffman

Oct 12, 2016, 9:51:53 AM10/12/16
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
image1.png

Sent from my iPhone

Robert Benner

Oct 12, 2016, 2:44:15 PM10/12/16
to Thierry Danz
Thanks Curtis.  Didn't have a clue what you were talking about.  Now I am less clueless.

Bob

On 12 October 2016 at 09:51, curtis hoffman <hoffman...@gmail.com> wrote:
image1.png

Sent from my iPhone