Re: [Cabo Rico Owners] We have to replace the sealing for the portholes....

curtis hoffman

Jun 6, 2017, 5:15:35 PM6/6/17
to Cabo Sailnet, Cabo Rico Owners

On Jun 6, 2017, at 5:14 PM, curtis hoffman <hoffman...@gmail.com> wrote:

  I didn’t discover Butyl rubber! The people that supplied the Cabo stainless port holes specified using it! Cabo ignored the spec and used 5200. I had a Cabo factory friend redo mine as half of them leaked. Again the biggie is Butyl never hardens so it moves into voids ever more. The magic is to have it under pressure after installing it.

On Jun 6, 2017, at 4:58 PM, Padraig Murphy <notification+zj4o0_9s=t...@facebookmail.com> wrote:

Padraig Murphy
Padraig Murphy1:21pm Jun 6
Portholes were supplied by ABI - not metric. The are out of business. New found metals is a supplier that should be able to take care of your replacement
Comment History
Curtis Hoffman
Curtis Hoffman1:32pm Jun 6
Butyl rubber is the answer . It never hardens . You stuff more than will fit around the portholes then tighten the porthole hardware until it flows out. Plastic ports maybe not as the serious fighting may break them.
Paul Cabo 42
Jennifer Swart
Jennifer Swart1:47pm Jun 6
Purchased our 1985 CR 38 in 2015, first chore was to remove exterior trim rings from all opening ports . Rebedded with 5200, as we have done with former boats over the past 35 years. Several voids to be filled, which would not have been possible with butyl tape. 100% Leak free since . Last winter we replaced interior rubber gaskets and glass for cosmetic reasons , they had never leaked
Padraig Murphy
Padraig Murphy4:58pm Jun 6
Portholes were supplied by ABI - not metric. The are out of business. New found metals is a supplier that should be able to take care of your replacement
Original Post
Marie Bergenholtz
Marie Bergenholtz1:19pm Jun 6
We have to replace the sealing for the portholes. I have a feeling it is not metric.
It would be great if someone would have information where to buy it.
// Hans

View Post on Facebook · Edit Email Settings · Reply to this email to add a comment.

capt...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2017, 6:47:59 PM6/6/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Perko gaskets work for the opening ports.

Sent from my iPhone

Mickey Panayiotakis

Jun 6, 2017, 7:07:01 PM6/6/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
There are two things that can leak and need different products.

1. for sealing the porthole frame against the doghouse structure, butyl works, and what is recommended by NFM. I have the old Perko ports, and have used butyl tape successfully here, but butyl tape may not be recommended if the ports are not through-bolted since it does not have any adhesive properties.

2. For sealing the opening part against the frame, I and others on the list have used several options:

- custom or other rubber seal from your local seal shop.

mickey

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/caborico.

Chuck Batson

Jun 7, 2017, 10:15:01 AM6/7/17
to caborico
A couple more gasket options for posterity:

1. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4D6XK/ - I've used this with some success.

2. http://www.sailboatstuff.com/cb_Rectangular_Portholes_Portlights_Spare_Dogs_Studs_Anchor_Style_Chains_T_Bar_Replacement_Parts_Bronze_Stainless_Steel_Rectangular_ABI.html#RepPartsPort - touted specifically as a replacement for rectangular ABI portlights, though I haven't tried it. Quite expensive, and the existing ones in my vessel (don't know if they're original) were solid, not hollow.

Chuck
CR34 Hull #34
San Rafael, CA

Alex Tarlecky

Jun 8, 2017, 10:23:26 AM6/8/17
to caborico, 7091365...@groups.facebook.com
I agree with Jen... you need to fill voids that are much to large for butyl using a caulk. Certainly, you can apply mold release on the ports, fill the voids with something less than 5200, insert port, let dry, remove port, clean port of mold release, then apply butyl and rebed.

LB Home

Jun 8, 2017, 11:21:55 AM6/8/17
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
If I remember correctly the are 1/4 x 1/4 inch.
As I have posted before, I went to a commercial gasket and seal company. They cut them out of a 1/4 in. sheet of gasket material. We installed them maybe 7 years ago. Ports were not leaking when we sold the boat in Dec. I don't think we had more than $15 -$20 in materials. Cut to length, install and clue butt ends together.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone

S/V Watauga

Jun 23, 2017, 2:03:26 PM6/23/17
to caborico, 7091365...@groups.facebook.com

Jennifer:  Getting ready to do this with my ABI portholes soon.  When you rebedded your portholes with 5200, did you just remove the exterior or did you have to remove the interior ring as well?  Any photos?

MW Swart

Jun 27, 2017, 10:05:52 PM6/27/17
to caborico
Only removed exterior trim rings, took an afternoon to do the three square ones on each side. #99 has 2 round portholes forward, they were fine so we did not disturb! Rings and portholes were cleaned of existing 5200 , wiped with acetone and reinstalled using 5200. This was done early in 2015, two years still dry.