New Owner. Feathering prop?

Nico Walsh

Dec 8, 2015, 10:03:29 AM12/8/15
to caborico
We just took delivery of Cabo Rico 34, #14 (I think), ex-Zephyr, now Far and Away. Very happy. We'll keep her in South Freeport, Maine, where we live.

Our last boat (27 ft Albin Vega) had a Maxprop 3 bladed feathering prop that was a great piece of gear. Far and Away has a fixed 3 bladed prop and I plan to replace it with a  feathering 3 bladed prop.

Does anyone know the recommended size/pitch for a Maxprop on a CR 324? Does anyone care to recommend another model of feathering, 3 bladed prop?

Tom Fuhs

Dec 8, 2015, 11:23:04 AM12/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!!  I'm sure you'll find you've made a great decision.   I can't help with size and pitch for a 34 (we have a 38), but you may find it a challenge to fit a Maxprop in the smallish aperture.  There may be more room on the 34 since it's a newer design.  I you find the hub length is too long to fit the prop without major modifications, you may take a look at the Variprop.  I talked to these folks at the Annapolis show and I think they have the shortest installed hub/prop length of all the feathering props.  I'm pretty sure it'll fit the aperture on a 38, so probably will also on the 34.  I believe someone on here (Breck maybe?) installed a Maxprop on a 38, but had to shorten the tail piece, thus also shortening the cutlass bearing.  I think he may have had to modify the rudder a bit as well.  Just some things to consider.

Tom Fuhs
CR39 #115  "S/V Eclipse"
Rock Hall Md.

Leslie Owen

Dec 8, 2015, 12:55:07 PM12/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Nico. Congratulations on your new vessel. I think you will enjoy years of good sailing on her.

I am sorry but I do not have your desired specs for a feathering prop. Our's is a three blade fixed prop.

Are you sailing your new boat home or trucking her north?

We find this group knowledgeable and generous with information.  I am sure you will, also.

Sorry we will not see you on the Chesapeake Bay.

Best,

Leslie

S/V Tango, CR34
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River,  MD

Sent from my iPhone

Nico Walsh

Dec 8, 2015, 1:29:59 PM12/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
She was on Lake Champlain for a year or two. We had her trucked to Rockland, Maine, where she is in a shed now.

Nico Walsh

Nicholas H. Walsh P.A.

Admiralty and Maritime Law; Probate Litigation; Commercial Law

Phone: (207) 772-2191
Fax:     (207 774-3940

P.O. Box 7206
120 Exchange St.
Portland ME 04112

This message is from a law firm, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you suspect you are not the intended recipient, please delete the email and call us.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Norris Y. Palmer

Dec 8, 2015, 2:36:17 PM12/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

I have a 4 blade on my NE 400 had to take the pitch down twice

Why does yours need changing for reference? Is it smoking or to high an rpm?

Norris Y. Palmer

Dec 8, 2015, 4:58:11 PM12/8/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Whoops responded before I had coffee.

Yes, I love the max prop, only drawback is the greasing and zinc replacement that seems shorter than it should of course, but for thrust forward and backward there is no comparison.

Breck Caine Cabo #19

Dec 9, 2015, 10:21:03 AM12/9/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have the Max prop on my 38 and need less pitch than I have. I would pitch it less than you think you need. I  pitched mine too much and could not get the RPMs up to where they need to be. Good luck and good fun.

Dave Newberg

Dec 9, 2015, 3:08:25 PM12/9/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Nico,

Welcome to the group - I expect you’ll greatly enjoy your boat, as well as the help you get from this forum. We’re entering year number 11 on our CR34 #7 and still love it.

A reversing prop is near the top of our wish list, but lots of choices and difficult research have us befuddled: Maxprop, J Prop, Variprop, Flexofold . . . even Volvo makes one, perhaps others.
I assume that with enough research we'll determine that one of these will retrofit with little or no driveshaft and fiberglass work and be a good choice for improved function as well. But we are not there yet.

. . . and the new Maxprops are really expensive - yikes! In the past they’ve had earlier used models in their inventory at reasonable prices though.

Please keep us in the loop with your progress in this refit.

Cheers
Dave
s.v. Cigano

Norris Y. Palmer

Dec 10, 2015, 2:41:15 PM12/10/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

The Max prop easy allows you to change the pitch with the insertion of one bolt instead of having to take it all apart.

Happy sailing.

Pete Smith

Dec 20, 2015, 11:59:37 AM12/20/15
to caborico
Breck

Did you have to make any changes to the apperture or prop to fit it the Maxprop on your 38?

Pete

Cab...@aol.com

Dec 20, 2015, 11:42:41 PM12/20/15
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I had to grind some of the apperture back, cut about a inch off the back of the  tailpiece and cutlass bearing, and I believe shorten the shaft some (its been awhile). I also think I changed a castle nut some so I could replace the Max with the old two blade if required. I made no changes to the Maxprop.